My Cape Cod replacement is here!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
? It so rarely gets turned to high. High is really the only time I get active flames. When it does, it's pretty! Lots of blue flames and secondary flames being touched of by the cat. Maybe comparable to the Oslo I guess, but nothing compared to the Cod.
Thanks for the reply. If it's comparable to the Oslo, why not go with a second Ashford? Is it just for variety or is there something special about these secondary burn stoves? Or is it the styling of the Jotul that just plain outclasses the Ashford?

First of all, Ashfords can't be had right now. I like the variety and I have no intention of running the Ashford on high! It's my all night and day, whole house heater. With results like that I don't need a pretty fire!
And the styling is unparalleled!;)

Question for you, Webby. When you turn the Ashford up to run full tilt, how does the fire compare (in terms of how nice it is to look at) to the fire in this Jotul?

If the BK is sized properly its not often you'll run it at full tilt. With that said if a nice flame show is important to you I'd suggest a different stove, 90% of the time I'm looking at a dark stove with some glowing coals. Even when I burn hot the stove heats up to xxx amount the flapper will close and the flame will go out until the stove cools enough for the t-stat to open the flapper back up. They're awesome heaters and I'll never post different, awesome flames show...ehh not so much. ;lol

Well, for us it's first and foremost a heater. To heat a large house evenly, I would imagine it's good to have something that runs low and long. So I'm 90% sure we'll go with the Ashford. Still have to see it though.

First of all, Ashfords can't be had right now. I like the variety and I have no intention of running the Ashford on high! It's my all night and day, whole house heater. With results like that I don't need a pretty fire!
And the styling is unparalleled!;)

The styling is Blaaahhh, it's missing something... That said, I'd still like to have a BK just for the burn times. The Ashford looks a lot like the Cod(which I somewhat liked the looks of) but the castings just don't have enough relief to them.

The styling is Blaaahhh, it's missing something... That said, I'd still like to have a BK just for the burn times. The Ashford looks a lot like the Cod(which I somewhat liked the looks of) but the castings just don't have enough relief to them.

I thought the Cod was gorgeous. Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Haven't seen the Ashford in person yet. That's what's holding me back from just ordering one.

So you've seen the Ashford and the Cod in person? And you didn't like the looks? I'm not sure what you are looking for then, they both are very nice looking stoves.

Or is it the styling of the Jotul that just plain outclasses the Ashford?

And the styling is unparalleled!
I was actually referring to the Oslo here.

I agree with you on the styling of the Oslo, I love the looks of it! I do like the looks of the Cape Cod too, I've seen it in Person and almost bought it. I haven't seen the Ashford in person but in my opinion from the pictures that I've seen it looks like a somewhat bland Copy of the Cape Cod with a big ugly hump sticking out the back. I would still consider buying one on the premise of burn time alone...

I agree with you on the styling of the Oslo, I love the looks of it! I do like the looks of the Cape Cod too, I've seen it in Person and almost bought it. I haven't seen the Ashford in person but in my opinion from the pictures that I've seen it looks like a somewhat bland Copy of the Cape Cod with a big ugly hump sticking out the back. I would still consider buying one on the premise of burn time alone...

When are you looking at the back of it if it's installed up against a wall? Is it going to be a middle of the room install?

In either place in my house that it would go the stove can be viewed from three sides. It would have looked a whoooole lot better if they wrapped the entire thing in cast.

It would have looked a whoooole lot better if they wrapped the entire thing in cast.
Actually, most cast enamel stoves aren't finished all the way around. Most have a built in shield that is to reduce clearance as well as for convection or a blower option. If you want an Iron stove that is finished all the way around then Jotul, and the Hearthstone Manchester are the only big stoves that I can think of that are enameled all the way around, that I have had my hands on anyway.

It really isn't that big of deal whether the back is covered in cast but the least they could do is bring the cast on the sides all the way back instead of leaving a big hunk of steal that doesn't match the rest of the stove.

It really isn't that big of deal whether the back is covered in cast but the least they could do is bring the cast on the sides all the way back instead of leaving a big hunk of steal that doesn't match the rest of the stove.
And then you would have a rectangular fire box. The square firebox is a huge advantage!

I don't see why extending the cast further to the back so that it covers the entire side would change the firebox.

Traditionally, cast stoves have a rectangular appearance to them. They were trying to replicate that traditional look as much as possible, while using an existing, proven firebox. The results have some junk in the trunk! Take it or leave it!:)

I say leave it...:p==c As far as square cast stoves go, I really like the looks of the P.E. Alderleas...or at least I did before they took away the nice looking door.

Here's a few Oslo in action pics!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 196
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 180
Reactions: alforit
Now that's purdy.

Now that you've had the Oslo for a while, how's it holding up and how's it comparing to the Ashford?

Now that you've had the Oslo for a while, how's it holding up and how's it comparing to the Ashford?
Yeah. And PYRO, how's the Manchester? ;lol

I actually sold the Oslo over the summer. It's a work horse and holds up very well! That's why I chose it as a replacement for the cod. I wanted a proven stove and I already had a Blaze King. I ran an Oslo for several years before I bought the Cod, thats why I wanted another one.

I actually sold the Oslo over the summer. It's a work horse and holds up very well! That's why I chose it as a replacement for the cod. I wanted a proven stove and I already had a Blaze King. I ran an Oslo for several years before I bought the Cod, thats why I wanted another one.
Wow, another stove. Why did you sell it and what did you get this time?

Wow, another stove. Why did you sell it and what did you get this time?
I decided to sell it because I don't really need 2 new stoves. The Ashford takes care of the whole house unless it's very cold. So, any old stove will do out where the Oslo was. I had decided to sell the Cape Cod for the same reason, and I was upset with the way I was treated from the Lopi rep. That's when found the crack in the cod. Since I could get a replacement or store credit I opted for credit. So selling my second stove isn't a new idea.

Time to remove the Oslo from your signature then?

I decided to sell it because I don't really need 2 new stoves. The Ashford takes care of the whole house unless it's very cold. So, any old stove will do out where the Oslo was. I had decided to sell the Cape Cod for the same reason, and I was upset with the way I was treated from the Lopi rep. That's when found the crack in the cod. Since I could get a replacement or store credit I opted for credit. So selling my second stove isn't a new idea.
Time to remove the Oslo from your signature then?
I only use my phone, signatures dont show up so never think of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.