My Easter Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Okay, not quite a score, but........went to brunch, restaurant had a large load of firewood stacked - must have just been delivered. About 200 meters from the restaurant, a nice split of cherry must of jumped the truck and was laying on the side of the road. Yep, hopped out in shirt/tie and tossed it in the car - my wife now officially thinks that my wood problem has gone WAY too far. Oh.....I didn't bother posting a pic :p

Be proud!

NH, that reminds me of the time we were going to a wedding reception. Here I was in my Sunday go-to-meeting clothing....and wouldn't you know!? I spotted someone who was doing some remodeling and they had placed a large pile of old lathe. Yes indeed! I hopped right out of the van and took all that lathe. I often wonder what folks around there were saying if they seen this man in a suit and tie gathering up old lathe. lol

Since when is removing a road hazard a bad thing?

Backwoods Savage said:
NH, that reminds me of the time we were going to a wedding reception. Here I was in my Sunday go-to-meeting clothing....and wouldn't you know!? I spotted someone who was doing some remodeling and they had placed a large pile of old lathe. Yes indeed! I hopped right out of the van and took all that lathe. I often wonder what folks around there were saying if they seen this man in a suit and tie gathering up old lathe. lol
LOL Dennis. Oh.....you know what they were saying........

Hey, I was just thinking.......perhaps if I just follow cordwood delivery trucks around the state, I can get all of my firewood.........

70marlin said:
Be proud!

...and welcome to the club. We must keep ourselves convinced that we are normal, (wood burners that is.) :coolsmile:

Kind of reminds me of the time the wife and I were on vacation in Stowe, Vermont, and behind a hotel they had taken down and cut into rounds Yellow Birch. Of course we walked over to look at it, and after explaining to the hotel manager that I don't get that wood down in PA. they let me take a round home! My wife already knew that I was nuts, but she darn-near killed me when that round was rolling around back of her Rav 4 and "kind of" smashed something that she had bought!

Anyways, I got to experience what a round of Yellow Birch burned like; wish that I could get my hands on some down here but I just don't see it.

Just admit that you're nuts and obsessed with firewood-it's easier that way and it's the truth lol!!!

Ya, I've been eyeing this old, gray round sitting under a white oak on some abandoned property. I feel like a wood pervert or something.
Alas, do not be ashamed.

Wood Duck said:

Sounds like good reasoning to me! :)

PS I always carry a pair of work gloves in the car...

Shari

Shari said:
Wood Duck said:

Sounds like good reasoning to me! :)

PS I always carry a pair of work gloves in the car...

Shari

Me too.....plus my Dolmar......

Im so happy Im not the only one ! My kids tell me all the time that I have firewood obsession . Why, just today I went bike riding with my 11 year old . After about 5 minutes on bikes what do I hear ----- wood chipper and chain saw ! My bike somehow found its way to this operation where couple of guys were working on about 2 acres of woods . ( new development)
I approach one of the workers, but he tells me that all of the wood is already spoken for. What kills me is this: as we ride away they feed a whole tree into a wood chipper. It looked like poplar , 6-8 inches in dia. , but still , I would have taken it. And there was a whole bunch of them. My guess is that they just did not want to deal with someone like me. Too bad, well maybe next time.

I also had an Easter score had a family party at the house and my wifes neice brought a friend who proceeded to tell me he was cutting down 8 maple trees on his property and would I be interested other wise he was just going to have a big bonfire !! I said sure so he said he will call in a week or two when he has a trailer load. Later he tells me his Father has a farm not far from here and has a bunch more trees to clear the next couple of years. Sounds like a plan.

Tony H said:
I also had an Easter score had a family party at the house and my wifes neice brought a friend who proceeded to tell me he was cutting down 8 maple trees on his property and would I be interested other wise he was just going to have a big bonfire !! I said sure so he said he will call in a week or two when he has a trailer load. Later he tells me his Father has a farm not far from here and has a bunch more trees to clear the next couple of years. Sounds like a plan.

Very nice! Always great to have people know you burn wood - when enough people know, chances of getting free downed wood becomes better and better! Hope you get every stick! Cheers!

My Easter score was when we walked up the road to drop off a ham bone for a friend's dog (we don't have a dog, but had a nice big ham bone left over from dinner) and he asked if I wanted a bunch of trees that he wants to take down. He and I are scheduled to cut 5 or 6 Red Maples, each about 12 inches dbh, maybe next weekend. There is also a large dead Chestnut oak that we might cut down, and a Black Birch that might go if we get around to it. The dog enjoyed the bone.

Status
Not open for further replies.