My father would hardly agree with burning pine.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Burning pine is OK when:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually drink Bourbon but in a pinch I'll take whatever is at hand.

I'm with ryan, mostly all pine all the time. The few cold nights we have had here in Co, I use walnut and elm. We just do the two hot fires in the morning and when we get home from work and the flue looks clean

Anton Smirnov said:
MountainStoveGuy said:
it heats my house 24/7.

Yes, but you don't count :)

You burn slow growing pine that is almost as dense as hard wood. If you don't live in the mountains, you don't have access to that kind of pine.

this is true! i forget obout that. 2 miles up make for pretty dense growing pine.

MountainStoveGuy said:
Anton Smirnov said:
MountainStoveGuy said:
it heats my house 24/7.

Yes, but you don't count :)

You burn slow growing pine that is almost as dense as hard wood. If you don't live in the mountains, you don't have access to that kind of pine.

this is true! i forget obout that. 2 miles up make for pretty dense growing pine.

Why don't ya measure and weigh a 16 inch log of that stuff. I will do the same with Virginia pine and we can put some of this stuff to rest for, oh, five minutes.

ive burned pine off and on ( when ive gotten it free or mixed in a load to fill it) cedar, even a white pine that i took down as the trunk was eaten away at the base and i was worried about it falling, after letting it season. the cat equipped 24-ac didnt even blink burning it. chimney did not build up and what i did get looked normal and was easily swept away with a brush , no different than when i burned only deciduous trees. only gripe i had was the pine and cedar wouldnt last as long. as for damage to the stove , flue , or catalyst, there was absolutely none at all. i am partial to hardwood over conifer burning but the reason for that is solely because of burn times.

Status
Not open for further replies.