My Fireview is cooking along at 600 stovetop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mfglickman

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2012
NW CT
with a few lazy blue flames floating about inside the box. It's 36 outside, going into the 20s tonight, and for the first time this winter my house thermostat is at 68. :)

So why can't I convince myself to go to sleep? LOL. Going to bed or leaving the house with 600 on the stovetop is going to take some getting used to. I may just hang here with it and the laptop till I see it start to fall off.

DH is going to bed after me tonight and threatening to load it up full before he does - I'm begging him not to unless he's willing to sit up with it for an hour or so.

The mantel heat shield is hot to the touch, I can lay my hand on it for a few seconds but it's more than comfortably warm, and the mantel, which has 1-2 inches of airspace between it and the shield, is definitely quite warm, but not too hot to touch - that just means the heat shield is doing its job, right?

Thanks for being here and hearing all of my victories and neuroses. ;)

Mary

Like having a newborn in the house, isn't it?

mywaynow said:
Like having a newborn in the house, isn't it?

Totally! And my youngest is 8 - I'm over the newborn phase. Tell me it gets easier to let it cruise by itself...?

Although I don't have a fireview soapstone stove almost though, I was the same way the first year with the liberty. I scared me to death to see that thing burn. Most of the time I would let the fire go out before going to bed or leaving the house. This year I don't think twice about going to bed or leaving the house with the stove at 700 stovetop which is where it likes to run. Usually for the overnight burn its got 4 to 6 splits in it and cruising away between 700 and 750 with the fan running. I always run the fan at night or when I'm not home. Gives me that extra peace of mind. Don't know if its a new install or not, but if it is once you learn your stove and how it reacts to different air setting 600 stovetop won't bother you at all

Yes, sounds like the heat shield is doing its job.

As far as the 600, well WOOT! That's heat! Enjoy!

As far as the DH loading the stove up w/ more wood on hot coals then going to bed, I'm not very comfortable with that as a general rule either. That's a good way to overheat the unit on hot coals. W/ lesser coals, that's a good way to make thing smolder and dirty things up unnecessarily.

After getting to know the stove better, loading and walking away in a shortened period of time can be appropriate. Personally, I don't like to load and leave the stove w/out at least a 1/2 hour with it. Even with experience with this unit, it has surprised me on occasion even at the 1/2 hour mark. With a new unit, I think the 1 hour you mention is a good standard. I use the 1 hour as my standard for loading the stove day in and out.

pen

pen said:
Yes, sounds like the heat shield is doing its job.

As far as the 600, well WOOT! That's heat! Enjoy!

As far as partner loading the stove up w/ more wood on hot coals then going to bed, I'm not very comfortable with that as a general rule.

After getting to know the stove better, loading and walking away in a shortened period of time can be appropriate. With a new unit, I think the 1 hour you mention is a good standard.

pen

Amen. Take it from someone like me who has done it NEVER fill up a stove on a hot coal bed and walk away. I also give my liberty 45 min to 1 hour before I leave it

Status
Not open for further replies.