My First Craigslist Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cluttermagnet

Minister of Fire
Jun 23, 2008
Mid Atlantic
This is a batch of Tulip (Yellow) Poplar. Measured this flat pile at about 6x15ft and about 1.5 to 2ft tall. That's about 1.1 to 1.4 cords. Still quite wet- will need 6-12 months seasoning. About half of it was already split, a good bonus. This is my first free Craigslist score for firewood and my 3rd ever. It's just amazing how fast items get snapped up on Craigslist. The guy who gave it to me was surprised at how many responses he got to his ad. Luckily, I was the first. It may not be Oak, but who doesn't like free BTU's? He has also gotten himself some free Cherry wood from Craigslist. I told him about how much I like the hearth.com forums. He had not found them yet, so it was my turn to return the favor.

dscf0015b.jpg

dscf0013a.jpg

Nice score. If the guy is a burner why would he give it away?

albertj03 said:
Nice score. If the guy is a burner why would he give it away?
Probably several reasons. He's a new wood burner but has already learned about BTU's vs. wood species. Knows that Oak, Cherry, Maple, etc. are much better. Knows that he must burn only seasoned wood in his stove. Tulip Poplar coals very poorly and makes a lot of light, fluffy ash. Also he is situated on a smaller lot and probably has fairly limited storage space in the back yard. This batch was recently felled and is needing lots of time to season. I think he wants wood he might burn this season. BTW he did keep about a cord of it for himself before putting it on Craig's.

Anything that close to my stove finds its way into it no matter how few btus are in it. Don't understand that one.

I think Tulip Poplar is a pretty decent wood, and I wouldn't be giving it away. Wood snobs - I don't understand 'em.

Wood Duck said:
I think Tulip Poplar is a pretty decent wood, and I wouldn't be giving it away. Wood snobs - I don't understand 'em.

+1 no problems with tuilp here

I moved the already split stuff around back, then tried splitting some random bigger pieces. It's still pretty wet. Seems to take more effort than splitting semi- dry deadwood Red Oak. Oak is a dream to work with, mostly. After one session of hand- splitting this Poplar, I'm wondering if it will split easier when it's drier.

In the past, I did split some big Tulip Poplar branches which fell from our trees here- 5 to 8 inch diameter. After cutting them into rounds, they sat for some months. When I finally got around to splitting these straight- grained pieces, they were real easy.

The stuff is so wet, I'm tempted to just make a 'heap hausen' on the 2 pallets I've set up for it, then try stacking it later next summer. There's about 1/2 cord split presently. The remaining 3/4 cord or so is in big chunks and will need to be split down with wedges and a sledge hammer, then I can get after it with the maul.

Here's about 1/2 cord of that wet Poplar 'random stacked' in the HeapHausen style on a couple of pallets. :) It's looser packed than woodpile style- ought to dry faster, also it's in keeping with my low profile philosophy for less visual impact to neighbors.

It's about 7.33 x 9ft, works out to ~66 sq ft. That means just under 2ft height is a cord. I have about 1ft on it now, and plenty more to split.

HeapHausen0011.jpg

I got about half of the big stuff moved around back. Some are so heavy I can't really lift them well. Will split them once, then I can get them into my wheelbarrow. Don't want to blow out my back on these. I prefer to take my time, use common sense, and avoid unnecessary heroics.

Wood Duck said:
He seems like a nice, down to earth guy to me. A new wood burner, as I am. Somehow I doubt he's a wood snob. He has limited spare hours due to a full time+ job. I think he wants better seasoned wood for burning this year, if possible. Takes near the same amount of effort on Poplar for half the BTU's compared with Oak IMO. I think I kind of understand. Wouldn't we all prefer 3 year old Oak splits! ;-)

Update on the Poplar score:
I have burned about 3/4 of the wood in this batch that came already split. Drying time is 8-12 months and it burns just great and puts out plenty of heat. Bigger splits burn well without running away out of control. Works well mixed with Oak or Cherry or other denser hardwoods. If the fire is running a bit sluggish, often adding a split of Poplar is just what's needed to get it going well again.

My verdict:
I won't refuse Poplar, but neither will I go out of my way to get it. As long as one has access to a hydraulic splitter, it's worth the trouble. Of course I prefer Oak and Cherry! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.