My first intro to Enerzone stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
I got my first introduction to Enerzone stoves this past weekend. A friend had purchased one for his 1100 sqft cabin/home and needed a little brawn to get it inside. This stove was the 2.3 version (they name their stoves after the cuft of the firebox. Kinda crafty if you ask me). It appears to be a very well built and handsome stove. And at 415 pounds, it was not a cheap build either (and makes for some heavy hauling for two guys)

This is a brand that is not thrown around alot here, so I just thought I would post this up. The welds looked good, all attachment points (like legs, ash pan, etc.) were solid construction, it just looks like a quality steel stove (for all you steel lovers out there ;-) ) and it looks like they have a pretty good range of sizes with 5 stoves starting at 1.6 and ending at 3.4 cuft of fire box.

So for what its worth - this old burner boy kinda liked it.
This is a website pic of the stove we moved in this weekend:

Attachments

• enrzone23.jpg
    enrzone23.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 419
Not a bad looking stove either. What distinguishes this line from the other SBI stoves like Osburn?

BeGreen said:
Not a bad looking stove either. What distinguishes this line from the other SBI stoves like Osburn?

I can't really answer that BG - I have never been face to face with an Osburn.

Heck - until you just posted, I didn't realize that the parent co. builds Osburn, Drolet, Flame, PSG, Enerzone, Valcourt and Century.

I learned something new (can I go home now :cheese: )

Sure, right after you erase the blackboard. :)

We have an SBI/Osburn rep on the forum and an Enerzone dealer that can fill us in on the details.

Hi Guys & Thanks for the kind words on the Enerzone Brand.

The question was: what is the difference between Enerzone & Osburn brand? Both brands are dedicated to the Hearth Specialty Stores and built as high end though reasonably priced units. Both have a similar warranty (limited lifetime) and are built with thick plate steel, C Cast baffle, heavier bricks etc...

The main difference is in the 'look'. The Osburn for example has a couple of Bay window stoves/inserts not available anywhere else. And they may be carried by different hearth dealers in an area.

Hope this helps

What's a C Cast baffle? Is it like the PE baffles?

From what I know of PE they use primarily Steel baffles unless there is something else you might know about...

'C' Cast is a ceramic composite cast material. It's very light and more expensive stuff found on only some stoves in the market. Because of its high heat performance (up to 3,000f) it is usually found in some Wood burning Furnaces or very large stoves. It lasts a long time & helps with the performance of the unit. It does not degrades like bricks or vermiculite. My understanding is that it basically came for the technology used for the space shuttle tiles.

Tooting our own horn here... only Enerzone & Osburn puts it in all their models.

So you won't punch a hole in it with a split like some of those cheesey ceramic baffles?

I'm not sure what you refer to but this is not brittle like ceramic glass. It has somewhat the consistency & 'sponginess' of that blue styrofoam insulation. Only heavier. Sounds weird but you have to see it.

FyreBug said:
From what I know of PE they use primarily Steel baffles unless there is something else you might know about...

'C' Cast is a ceramic composite cast material. It's very light and more expensive stuff found on only some stoves in the market. Because of its high heat performance (up to 3,000f) it is usually found in some Wood burning Furnaces or very large stoves. It lasts a long time & helps with the performance of the unit. It does not degrades like bricks or vermiculite. My understanding is that it basically came for the technology used for the space shuttle tiles.

Tooting our own horn here... only Enerzone & Osburn puts it in all their models.

PE's baffle is unique stainless steel box which contains the secondary baffle and the ceramic covering insulation, all enclosed within the bafflebox.

So this would be like a ceramic wool blanket over the steel baffle?

This would be like a ceramic wool blanket over the stainless steel baffle and then enclosed with a top cover. The advantage being that the blanket does not get sooted or damaged even when cleaning the stove. You just pull out the entire assembly by pulling out the back pin and then drop it. And when loading wood into the stove, if a log bumps the baffle, no big deal. No tubes to replace, no board to break, no exposed blanket to get dirty or accidentally get shoved to far back or forward on top of the manifold.

For what it is worth, the manager of the shop I got my Oslo at (which also carries Scan, Hearthstone plus others) has an Enerzone for his stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.