My first Racks (w/ pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
With a pending wood insert purchase coming next month, I've decided to get to my firewood stacked. Using steel brackets I purchased on-line and lumber from the big box store, I easily built two, inexpensive 16x1x6 racks. Each rack will hold a little over 1 cord.

Attachments

• SSPX1178.jpg
    SSPX1178.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 768
  • SSPX1180.jpg
    SSPX1180.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 788
  • SSPX1181.jpg
    SSPX1181.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 783
  • SSPX1182.jpg
    SSPX1182.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 788
  • SSPX1191.jpg
    SSPX1191.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 769
I may be wrong, but isn't 16X1X6 only .75 of a cord?

that looks like what i wanna do, but only with pallet flooring.

Trailmaker: It is free standing.

Brianbeech: Mathematically, yes. However, those are the dimensions of the rack, not the firewood. My splits range from 12" anywhere to 20". Using 16x1.5(16" average splits)x6 I get 144 cubic feet, a little over 128 cubic feet (cord).

Where did you get the brackets?

I've been using these Stack Ons with 10 ft 2x4's, but they are not as solid looking as what you have there.

-m

I have very similar racks made of leftover and used 2x4 from a garage construction.
No metal brackets, though.

They work rather well.

That looks really good Rcrozier. Perhaps the only thing different I would have done was to stack that older wood at the top of the stack to use it first.

Just looks great.
Now you have a place in the evening to go sit, & look at the stack of wood & enjoy a beer.
Are the bottom 2X4s treated wood?
Very nice, Good job!

0.975 Cord actually ;-) It looks like you have some spacers on the ground otherwise that wood would rot real last in our area.

Hunderliggur said:
0.975 Cord actually ;-) It looks like you have some spacers on the ground otherwise that wood would rot real last in our area.

Actually if they're 16" it would be exactly a cord. .975 would be 12" splits

Oops. a little rounding error. BTW - Those racks are nice. If the splits are 15.6" (12*1.3) you get .975 cord. If they are 16" (12*1 1/3) you get 1.0 cord. Better get out that tape measure!

I have the same setup ,I have 8 racks 2 rows of 4 back to back with 2 feet between them the wood is at least 6 feet tall,I cover the top and come down the sides about 1 foot best way yet to keep wood for the long haul. I use stack it brackets to hold the 2x4's together. Nice setup.

You guys are right. Okay, so it holds just about a cord depending on split length. I'm good with that. I ordered the brackets through Ace Hardware. See pic. You can search their website. Type in Hy-C Log Rack Kit. All of the lumber used is PT. Dennis, the darker wood (swamp maple/right most pile) was split just a couple of weeks before construction of the rack. It is also dark because of the rain. It however seasoned as rounds in my neighbors yard for almost a year and a half. The ash (large left most pile) had been split at least a year ago. I had it stacked and lightly covered. The back pile is birch which is at the bottom of the rack.

Attachments

• SSPX1170.jpg
    SSPX1170.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 426
  • SSPX1173.jpg
    SSPX1173.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 416
Rcrozier said:
You guys are right. Okay, so it holds just about a cord depending on split length. I'm good with that. I ordered the brackets through Ace Hardware. See pic. You can search their website. Type in Hy-C Log Rack Kit. All of the lumber used is PT. Dennis, the darker wood (swamp maple/right most pile) was split just a couple of weeks before construction of the rack. It is also dark because of the rain. It however seasoned as rounds in my neighbors yard for almost a year and a half. The ash (large left most pile) had been split at least a year ago. I had it stacked and lightly covered. The back pile is birch which is at the bottom of the rack.

I like those brackets, I ended up getting a different kind from Northline Express, I ended up making mine wide enough for two rows buit only went up 4 feet and 12 feet wide so mines about one cord too. In retrospect I should have went as high and long as you did.
These are the brackets I have

http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5RU-30360

Rcrozier said:

You will appreciate all of it this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.