my first smoke out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
well I was messing around with the stove today, put the damper pretty much all the way in. Left for 5 hours got home and house full of smoke. The pellets were piled up in there. Kind of scary I must say..

When you say you left the damper in, I am assuming you closed it of most of the way, if this is the case you were restricting the air that the fire was getting and depending on how drastic this was, semi burnt pellets were probably smoldering in the burn pot and couldnt burn all the way through in time to be blown out of the pot before new pellets drop in. This would lead to the fire looking like it was "on top of the burn pot" with lots of glowing orange underneith it, which would be those semi burnt smoldering pellets. The reason for all the smoke was probably because it just kept feeding and feeding (as it would and should do undr normal conditions) and eventually started to smother the fire. The pellets would burn but probably not catch on fire. the reason for so much smoke is sorta simple. If you imagine a cigar or ciggerette (or whatever you prefer to smoke) you can notice that if you actually lit it on fire it would burn with out nearly as much smoke as it would if burned normally. The pellets were probably doing the same thing.
Clean you stove thououghly, and open you damper a little and start the stove, once it is burning consistantly, open your damper and slowly close it until you can get the most intense hot flame, not a tall lazy orange one, but not open so far that you will blow the pellets out of the pot too, cause that's sorta wasteful.
hope this fixes it

Status
Not open for further replies.