My first stack ever.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about purchased firewood. I realize a lot of firewood dealers are like car salesman. They will tell you whatever you want to hear. The guy who delivered was recommended from the guy that is putting our insert in. He said he was going to deliver 2 cords and it would probably actually be more because he loads his trailer to overflowing which should be more than 2 cords. Yeah, yeah....blah blah blah....Does this math make sense:

1 full cord = 4x4x8=128
I have 4x4x12=192 192/128=1.5 cords. (and that is with me making those corners with the wood spaced apart.)

He told me to call him if there are any discrepancies. Am I being too picky? Paid 300 for the "2" cords delivered. My tree guy recommended someone that would deliver 3 cords for 360, but he was honest enough to tell me that the best he could do was maybe 10 months seasoned.

well...if i paid a salesman 4 tires and i received 3 tires, i would demand my 4th tire. the problem with a wood delivery is that by the time you stack it and get the approximate volume, he's long gone. so yeah - i'd call him and just lt him know that he shorted you. he may or may not make good, but either way he'll be wary next time. sounds like you have a good handle on the dimensions and with a little practice you'll be able to get pretty close just looking at a pile.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Hey you have to start somewhere......and in my opinion you are off to a great start. I haven't had to purchase any firewood yet but I figured that I wouldn't ever be able to get a year or two ahead but in just a short time I have been able to get about 1-1/2 maybe 2 years ahead. Good job keep it up!

OK. I criticize when needed and compliment just as much.

I called the guy that shorted me, it took three calls but he finally called me back. He said he would deliver another half cord. It arrived this morning and now I think I have at least the 2 cords that were promised. My faith in firewood dealers has been restored. It does look like a much "uglier batch" some short, some long, some big fat knotty pieces, but who cares as long as it will burn.

He was apologetic and said that he has to guesstimate how much to put in his trailer. I am OK with that, but if you have been doing it for a while, don't you kinda know how much to load?

The stack on the left is the new delivery. It got a soaking from the sprinklers that came on this morning. I need to adjust that!

IMG_6956.JPG

IMG_6957.JPG

Indeed, if he has been doing this for a while, he knows.

Reactions: Nixon
Status
Not open for further replies.