My first sweep: ovalized bush, conduit rods. safety line (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CarbonNeutral

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2009
Nashoba Valley(ish), MA
Thought I'd share my story of my first every sweeping - maybe it will help someone..

I was overdue for a sweep, at least where the cap is concerned - see this thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/54017/

I had put off sweeping until I had rigged a safety line across the ridge of the roof - I don't mind heights, but the unpredictability of a shingle suddenly giving way (especially the way my house was built..) made this a requirement in my mind. I drilled holes in the end roof trusses out through the fascia, put eye bolts in with a nut holding them on the inside. then ran 40' of stainless 3/16" cable just down from the ridge. I can clip into this with a harness and sling to walk the length of the roof (I can get onto the roof via a bedroom window and an odd roof setup that I have). Only the eye bolts had no rated loading, but they're big, and I won't be falling, more using the line to stop a slip/roll, so they should be fine.

I have an oval Simpson flue, so I cut down an 8" Rutland poly brush (see pic). That took a while as I wanted to make sure it was just right, especially when the bristles have to swap direction when you're pulling upwards. I used the electrical conduit method for rods (thanks Gooserider and others) - three 10' 3/4" conduits, one PVC 3/4" to 1/2" NPT (female), one brass 1/2" NPT to 1/4" adapter. Use pipe solvent and glue to glue the plastic adapter, insert the brass fitting, then threadlock to secure the brush to the first section of conduit.

I sanded the ends of the conduit so they came apart a little easier, then drilled a hole though the assembled joints. Instead of a bolt I used a pin with a clasp (see pic). Just a little quicker and less fiddly than a nut/bolt. Rope attached to the brush eyelet, then hitches at the top of the brush, and hitches on the conduit. I did the extra hitch on the top of the brush because I figured than if I did have to use the rope to pull the brush out, this would help keep the brush aligned.

To get the lengths up on the roof I dropped a rope down to my waiting assistant (SWMBO) who clipped a section on using a small loop of rope attached through the pin.

The sweeping went well - I didn't feel that I was using too much force, and the pipe certainly ended up clean. About $90 in costs, so I've already saved $60 for a sweep..

Attachments

• P1060657.jpg
    P1060657.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 360
  • P1060658.jpg
    P1060658.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 337
  • P1060659.jpg
    P1060659.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 348
Good job now you don't have a excuse for letting you pipe and cap get plugged . Be a lot safer burning clean. ;-P

Sounds good Carbon even if the cost was a bit high; it is only that cost one time!

I too have a safety rope for use when climbing on the roof. It was not always this way but because I tend to get muscle spasms and also one leg sometimes quits working....and age, I now do what I should have been doing all those previous years. It simply makes sense when you are up in the air; clamp yourself in. I have a unique system I use sometimes for climbing trees while deer hunting and it works really well. I can raise or lower myself very easily and it is safety designed so that if I let loose of the lever for lowering myself, it will not lower any more. It works like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.