My First Time Cleaning Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
They also make smooth wall flex, which I have on both of my stoves. It is an attempt at solving that issue of corrugated liners collecting more crap, but they come with their own unique lifetime issues, namely that smooth wall of spiral steel unwinding if not installed or treated correctly.

I used now a 6” poly brush and I find it as hard as the 6” steel I used before. Again I went up about 10’ and can’t push it any further (need another 15’ approx. to reach the top). It is really hard and I’m afraid I may get the brush stuck in the chimney

Measuring the inside diameter of my SS chimney (not flex tube) is 5.5” diameter. So there is a lot of friction there and I can’t see anyone pushing the brush to the top.

So I decided to look for a new service to do the job for me from the top down. Hopefully they will be more knowledgeable than the ones I used before

Are you sure it’s not a 5.5 inch liner? They make those, too.