My first twenty four hour burn ever!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice. The best I can squeak out of mine is about 16 hours of 450*+ stove top temp. That's with the fans off...turn the fans on and it 12 hours is a good burn. I should mention that mine is the pre-EPA model, so it takes an entire tree to make that happen...but trees I have. I would love to have a new cat model, but there's no ROI for me.

Todd said:
Sounds like the new soon to be released 1.8 cu ft Blaze King stoves will have the same extraordinary burn times as well. 20+ hour burns in recent tests using larch. Wonder if they could reach that 24 hour mark with a good hardwood like Oak or Locust? I may have to switch over to steel and get rid of one of my rocks. It still baffles me why more stove manufactures don't use thermostats similar to BK.

Uuugh! A Keystone for a BK - that hurts LOL! Now maybe if you were going Englander (read steel plate to steel plate stove) to BK, that would be understandable... ;)

Bill

rdust said:
jonwright said:
It'd be nice to have a stove that looks really nice (like a Hearthstone ... really) and still get burn times like that. That is impressive. I thought folks were being sarcastic about the burn times in a Blaze King.

Ugly as sin, though.

That's just me.

I'll keep feeding wood in my units. There's craft in keeping my units going well. :D

Yep, different strokes for different folks. I've never been a fan of stone stoves or cast stoves. I like something that is all welded together that won't ever need to be resealed. If a steel stove breaks a weld or cracks I simply weld it up. Heck a lot of the stoves now have a steel firebox and have a stone or cast outer shell wrapped around them.

Not much different than the never ending cat verse non cat debates. :)

Yep. I have KTM motorcycles, like the 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke endless debates on ktmtalk (2 stroke wins, in case you didn't know!).

We love our "Ugly" BK... Our first stove we had for 10 years was better looking, the second stove we got was for practicality reasons only, no more rushing home to a cold house. Only need to load twice a day...

It depends on what people are looking for, some would go for esthetic's, as a decorative furniture piece, and others for more of a practicality piece of equipment, for burning 24/7. it would be a bonus if you can nail both thats for sure.

lukem said:
Nice. The best I can squeak out of mine is about 16 hours of 450*+ stove top temp. That's with the fans off...turn the fans on and it 12 hours is a good burn. I should mention that mine is the pre-EPA model, so it takes an entire tree to make that happen...but trees I have. I would love to have a new cat model, but there's no ROI for me.

Yeah, but he used a whole week's worth of wood in one night.
He'll get there.

I've had 4 stoves since 2004,the King Ultra makes 5,our home is somewhat unique and considered a very pretty place by most who see it. The King sitting in the middle of the living room is the focal point and a beautiful sight to see. The beauty of not having to fiddle faddle continuously is a beautiful thing the stove does not detract one thing from the houses decor or style at all.I'll take functionality over beauty any day. No stove no matter how beautiful even comes close to its performance from what I've seen and heard. But it all boils down to individual preference,if we all wanted Bkings there wouldn't be enough to go around.I posted pictures of the setup I'll post them again,beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Enjoy your stoves whatever you burn.

ohlongarm said:
I've had 4 stoves since 2004,the King Ultra makes 5,our home is somewhat unique and considered a very pretty place by most who see it. The King sitting in the middle of the living room is the focal point and a beautiful sight to see. The beauty of not having to fiddle faddle continuously is a beautiful thing the stove does not detract one thing from the houses decor or style at all.I'll take functionality over beauty any day. No stove no matter how beautiful even comes close to its performance from what I've seen and heard. But it all boils down to individual preference,if we all wanted Bkings there wouldn't be enough to go around.I posted pictures of the setup I'll post them again,beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Enjoy your stoves whatever you burn.
That's a beautiful post. Can't wait to see pix. PS: still wish maybe I'd waited for the Chinook.

ohlongarm said:
functionality over beauty any day.
individual preference,
if we all wanted Bkings there wouldn't be enough to go around.
beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
Enjoy your stoves whatever you burn.

Quit a few wise sayings there.
I agree.
Less wood & more heat. That's hard to beat. IMO

If I lived in a cold climate I'm sure I'd have a different view of things for sure. Realistically we have perhaps two months (usually) where you can keep the wood burner going 24x7 - and even still get by without running it a day or two here and there due to warm ups.

It was in the 70's this weekend and in the 60's right now. A little warm for us, but still....my little stove sits more than it burns.

Now let's say in an alternate universe I had to feed wood to a device to keep things cool in the summer time - I'd probably be more for practicality. :D

I thought folks were being sarcastic about the burn times in a Blaze King.

Nope, it's all true. Here is my current daily operation:

1) Open bypass damper, fill with lots of excellent hardwood (any combination of well seasoned hard maple, beech, oak, ironwood);
2) Close bypass damper after couple of minutes, burn with stat on 3 for about 15-20 minutes;
3) Turn down stat to 2.5 (will have a quite a lot of flame left, some of it being secondary burn at the top of the firebox);
4) Wait another 5 minutes, turn stat down to 2 or just under 2 (a little flame now and then, sometimes rolling secondaries at the top of the firebox near the cat, this will go out fairly quickly);
5) Wait 24 hours;
6) Open bypass, rake coals forward & center, close bypass;
7) Wait 1-2 hours;
8) Repeat.

74 in the house this morning, 27 outside: The beauty of a precisely controllable woodstove.
As it gets colder, I'll run the fans on low most of the time. That takes heat off the stove, prompting the stat to open the air inlet damper sooner/more often, so the burn times will decrease somewhat. Last winter during typical cold days, I would fill at 5 am and again at about 8 pm.

TX-L said:
I thought folks were being sarcastic about the burn times in a Blaze King.

Nope, it's all true. Here is my current daily operation:

1) Open bypass damper, fill with lots of excellent hardwood (any combination of well seasoned hard maple, beech, oak, ironwood);
2) Close bypass damper after couple of minutes, burn with stat on 3 for about 15-20 minutes;
3) Turn down stat to 2.5 (will have a quite a lot of flame left, some of it being secondary burn at the top of the firebox);
4) Wait another 5 minutes, turn stat down to 2 or just under 2 (a little flame now and then, sometimes rolling secondaries at the top of the firebox near the cat, this will go out fairly quickly);
5) Wait 24 hours;
6) Open bypass, rake coals forward & center, close bypass;
7) Wait 1-2 hours;
8) Repeat.

74 in the house this morning, 27 outside: The beauty of a precisely controllable woodstove.
As it gets colder, I'll run the fans on low most of the time. That takes heat off the stove, prompting the stat to open the air inlet damper sooner/more often, so the burn times will decrease somewhat. Last winter during typical cold days, I would fill at 5 am and again at about 8 pm.

Basically the same for my operation except now I keep the stove burning pretty hot & the fans on high.
Being in the basement, the noise isn't noticeable.
around noon, I pull the coals up front (which is quite a few) & add mis-fits, bent & bowed splits & crank it to 3. Glass gets cooked clean too :)
-10° nights & up to 5° days, burn times closer to 12 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.