My first wood ID post ....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Donnie Brasco

Feeling the Heat
May 29, 2012
East Central Kansas
I got permission to cut all the trees out of a year old brush pile and these are the main players....

I have no clue what they are...ANY insight would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

There are probably 4 cords at least!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
2, red Oak maybe

3rd pic looks like black walnut of butter nut.

Should be able to get positive ID when we see some fresh split , wood color & grain.

#3 = Pignut Hickory. Not sure 1 or 2.

Reactions: ScotO
Hackberry
Maple
and Dunno - at first blush I was guessing ash - but wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Donnie - I fixed your title.

My input is:

1. Hackberry
2. Maple-what kind I don't know
3. Black Walnut, based on the little green "sprouts" coming out of the rounds

1 is hackberry. 3 is walnut. 2 is ? Doesn't look like anything....need to see some cross sections.

3 could be oak judging by the broken off branch under it.

I think you have (1) Hackberry, (2) Red (or maybe Black) Oak, (3) Black Walnut. The first and third are pretty easy, while I am not too sure about the second. A shot of a cut end of #2 would be helpful.

first one is definitely hackberry....has the warty looking bark....

Second one, not real sure, but kinda looks like red oak...need to see a cross-section of it.

Third one is definitely pignut hickory.....see the brown 'peck marks' in the sapwood band? Characteristic of pignut.....

Reactions: Clyde S. Dale
Hey Donnie, after you get these trees bucked to size do us a favor and whack open the ones in question, #2 and #3 and post pictures of them split so we can see the grain please....

Third one is definitely pignut hickory.....see the brown 'peck marks' in the sapwood band? Characteristic of pignut.....

Sorry, Scotty...but I have to disagree. Pignut has a thinner smooth bark...or at least not that deeply creviced and not that thick. I've never seen a bird-peck walnut, and they are common on hickory, but that's walnut.

Reactions: nrford
Sorry, Scotty...but I have to disagree. Pignut has a thinner smooth bark...or at least not that deeply creviced and not that thick. I've never seen a bird-peck walnut, and they are common on hickory, but that's walnut.

That's why we need to see them split open. I just culled some Walnut and it had the same looking green "sprouts" trying to grow out of them like in the picture, but a split grain photo will help get a proper I.D.

It very well could be walnut......its not nearly as dark in the heartwood as the walnut I cut around here, though....

To the original poster, what does the wood smell like? Walnut will have a distinct "fine furniture" smell to it.......the hickory will smell starchy.

That'd seal the deal for me. Yes, the bark mimics the walnut I cut around here, but that heartwood isn't nearly as dark as ones I've cut.....

Either way, its good stuff....

Its interesting to see how the tree recovers from the "bird peck". Or to see they DO recover. I have a mountain ash that had serious die back on all its major limbs from a yellowed belly sap sucker. Ive seen the damage since on Elms, Ash, Maples. They dont bother with a lot of other species.
What about Butternut for the last tree ID? The butt end staining doesnt always match the heartwood grain color. Especially with the tree being full of sap. It looks too light to be walnut but there was another ID thread where a simlar tree was ID as walnut.
Walnut to me is a dark chocolate color. Milk chocolate not semi sweet.
Hard to say, the colors change as the wood oxidizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.