My Fiskars Splitting Hatchet Has a Nick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass. Wine Guy

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2007
Northeastern Massachusetts
I have a 17 inch Fiskars splitting hatchet (or whatever its official name is). I like it a lot, but today it got a nick right in the middle of the blade. There's also a small nick at one end of the blade.

What is the best way to get these out (at least the one in the center)? I don't have a grinder, just a file and the Fiskars sharpener.

Thank you very much.

LOL

Do you really think a small nick will affect the performance or are you worried the nick will snag on the sheets when you take it to bed with you?

Mass. Wine Guy said:
I just don't like how it looks. And that is a very personal question. I take all my tools to bed with me.
yep my wife complained when i brought my 460 with the 28 in. bar to bed she now sleeps happily on the couch!

Just sharpen it and ignore the nick. Over time the nick will disapear with reapeated sharpenings anyway. If you try to file it off, you are just needlessly shortening the life span of the tool.

Add some scrapes and scratches.
Hang by the door as proof that you're a manly man and not some suburban metrosexual.

:)

there's always bondo

or get it a sheath so that nick can't stare at ya.

smokinj said:
Mass. Wine Guy said:
I just don't like how it looks. And that is a very personal question. I take all my tools to bed with me.
yep my wife complained when i brought my 460 with the 28 in. bar to bed she now sleeps happily on the couch!
It was probably cold steel, I mean Stihl. Try warming it up next time.

LLigetfa said:
smokinj said:
Mass. Wine Guy said:
It was probably cold steel, I mean Stihl. Try warming it up next time.
She dont like my sthil at all cold or hot!(gas bill helps her get over it each month last one was 24.85)

Your local small engine guy could maybe do a good job sharpening it for you.
Do a google search and see if you can find a good article on sharpening.
Some of these guys would even sleep with another mans tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.