1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

My garden

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Bill, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill

Bill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Western Wisconsin
    I like to garden and plant trees, if you want more pictures I have them. Gonna cut up what the loggers left next week, gonna be lots of wood. I almost get a tickle in my stomach with all that wood. I used to scrounge wood in the city, now I have more than I know what to do with. Makes me feel good.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Bill

Bill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Western Wisconsin
    One at a time

That's my friend Pat, he just bought a New Holland, 45 horse, with 5 foot tiller, bucket, blade, and scraper box. Does a nice job. My garden grows in size every time he tills. I really don't need the extra room, but I can space everything out real well.

I just put 500 buchels of manure (3 year old, composted, cow) and it makes the soil like pancake mix. Planted the potatoes with my hands. I also planted 400 feet of wild flowers and sunflowers. I also put in about 20 fruit trees, 30 red pines, and a few ornamental trees, and a few black walnut.

Attached Files:

3. Bill

Bill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Western Wisconsin
    Here's an update of my garden, about 2-3 week interval. Looks like a good year for potatoes.

Attached Files:

4. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    hey nice garden. my wife and i just built a home and just got the yard in so our garden isn't too big. i put short telephone poles parallel and filled in between with good dirt and put some pole beans in there, and we got some cukes growin, and a half dozen tomato plants. our property also has a generous portion of black walnut trees, along with black raspberry, mulberry, and such. we got 4.5 acres, how much land you have?
  5. Bill

Bill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Western Wisconsin
    I have 12 acres, mostly woods, with about 2 or so acres in plains. About a 1000 acres of government land, and private woods around me.

I raise lots of hot peppers and of course tomatoes, radish, onions, beans, peas, snow peas, and leaf lettuce. Tried a few bird gourds, melon, and pumpkin. Just for fun.
  6. myzamboni

myzamboni Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silicon Valley
    Warning on using telephone poles or railroad ties for gardening. These are both treated with creosote or other preservatives that are carcinogenic and not adviseable for use in a garden.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.