My gloves need a fix’n

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FPX Dude

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I need some help, is this fixable...let me know???

Attachments

• glove.jpg
    glove.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 612
duct tape

Don't need fixing! Just grab hold of anything hot and you'll see! Nope. No fixing. Need a new pair.

ROFL!!

Is this your first set of gloves?

Anyone who actually works with their hands in gloves of that type will tell you, totally the way they wear out/fail. Go buy a three pack. In a few years, you will have tons of still functional left hand gloves, but no rights. I have a shoe box full in the garage waiting for something to pop into my head to make them useful.

Agreed! I have dozens of good left handed gloves.... anyone want to trade??

I now use $3.99 harbor freight welding gloves for my fireplace. They work well. The only problem is when you burn the stitching.

Harbor Frieght welding gloves 3 pack ;)

maverick06 said:

I now use $3.99 harbor freight welding gloves for my fireplace. They work well. The only problem is when you burn the stitching.

Ha! I side load my Oslo - using only my left welding glove. Good thing I am left handed! It does look funny though - of the pair, only the left glove is getting use.

Now, if you want to talk about gloves used for handling the wood when we use our hydraulic splitter - I wear out the middle finger on the right hand glove.

Shari said:
maverick06 said:

Ha! I side load my Oslo - using only my left welding glove. Good thing I am left handed! It does look funny though - of the pair, only the left glove is getting use.

Now, if you want to talk about gloves used for handling the wood when we use our hydraulic splitter - I wear out the middle finger on the right hand glove.

Same here . . . well except for the fact that I am right handed . . . but the left handed welding glove is all beat up compared to the nearly new looking right hand glove.

So Shari . . . the middle finger on your splitting gloves is worn out . . . is that middle finger getting much use while splitting and what does your husband have to say about this -- I mean he sounds like a nice guy? ;)

Dakotas Dad said:
ROFL!!

Anyone who actually works with their hands in gloves of that type will tell you, totally the way they wear out/fail. Go buy a three pack. In a few years, you will have tons of still functional left hand gloves, but no rights. I have a shoe box full in the garage waiting for something to pop into my head to make them useful.

It's the opposite for me. All of my left handed gloves are shot.

Step 1. Cut the finger off of that glove and sew it closed.
Step 2. Cut off your finger.

problem solved.

you are welcome.

Danno77 said:

problem solved.

you are welcome.

...but I need that finger when I drive.

Cut the finger off another pair of used gloves and insert it inside that finger hole. New gloves...

Dakotas Dad said:
ROFL!!

Surely there is market for left-handed gloves on e-bay. I have the same problem with shoe inserts. They are always sold in pairs, and I need only the left.

BrowningBAR said:
Dakotas Dad said:
ROFL!!

It's the opposite for me. All of my left handed gloves are shot.

I think I see some trades forming.

When you posted this I figured mine had plenty of life left. Then the other day I noticed that there was a wear spot in the thumb and the pinky. I don't ever wear out the pinky on my other gloves, but the design of these welder's gloves make the pinky up too high. Even though the other fingers are too short I only get my pinky halfway up in the glove when I grasp.

At any rate, I don't know if I've had these for a full two years or only for one and a half burning seasons, or what. I have been meaning to buy a pair ahead of time at a decent cost. Since I waited until glove failure I went ahead and bought a pair when I was at Wal-Mart. Don't get me wrong, they work pretty darn well and seem to be well made, but they cost 10 bucks and I know I can get welding gloves at the farm store for more like 6.

here's a picture of the old dirty and warn ones with the new ones. Exact same gloves...

Attachments

• IMAG0110.jpg
    IMAG0110.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 370
I had busted the stitches on the thumb of one of my gloves. It was useless. I decided clamp the seam together and superglue it. Its been holding great! I am going to glue a few of the other suseptible seams to make sure that they dont split. I think they just split because the thread got burnt or torn, so this should help.

Danno77 said:

problem solved.

you are welcome.

LMAO
Mine is the middle finger, and I NEED that finger!!!!
I use it a WHOLE LOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Hogwildz said:
Danno77 said:

problem solved.

you are welcome.

LMAO
Mine is the middle finger, and I NEED that finger!!!!
I use it a WHOLE LOT!!!!!!!!!!!
I know what you mean brother :lol:
5 yrs ago next week I broke my left middle finger while working at a 9 story parking ramp downtown.It was under 20 degrees outside with zero windchill.I was moving a stack of heavy post shoring for concrete forms,the stack shifted,my left hand was caught against a concrete column & finger was crushed.With the cold temps,my heavy gloves it was pretty much numb the rest of day.Xray stated it was broken in 3 places between middle of joint & fingertip.After surgery,it straightened up some a few months later,but isnt perfect.Several tendons were severed & its numb from 2nd joint to the tip.

Nice thats its still got some "curve" to it,I can give others the finger if they're around the corner ;-P

This guy didn't have the tip of his middle finger and just look at what happened.

Attachments

• ShortMiddleFinger1.jpg
    ShortMiddleFinger1.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 201
  • ShortMiddleFinger.jpg
    ShortMiddleFinger.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 177
  • ShortMiddleFinger2.jpg
    ShortMiddleFinger2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 180
Man just keep usin those gloves. Next thing you know you wont be wearing gloves and soon after that you wont need them.

I have found that sometimes cheaper gloves last longer.

For example: When it's not bitterly cold out, I like to use the rubber coated work gloves. I bought 2 pair for $3.97 at Menards last summer. They had a thick, textured coating and I thought they would work great. It turns out, the coating works great for a while, but the thicker the coating the easier it peels off in large chunks. This means the gloves will wear out really fast after that. I got about 1 week of hard wood-cutting out of each of those pairs. About right when I had worn through the 2nd pair, Menards had a 3-pack of RW brand dipped gloves FREE after rebate. These gloves are paper thin, and so is the rubber coating. But a single pair of those freebie gloves has lasted me all through fall and into winter. I still have 5 more 3-packs of them. The only bad thing I can say about them is that the rubber coating is thin, and it gets slippery when wet, so if the handle of my fiskars is wet, it can be slippery unless I dry it off, I just use a little caution and I've been ok so far. I think the regular price on the 3-pack is only $3-5 so it's still a pretty good deal IMHO.

I know these gloves won't really suffice for extended cold, winter work, but for the occasional 1 hour splitting sessions they work fine for me in all seasons. I would definitely recommend getting them if you want a thinner glove. I like the thin gloves because I can actually feel what I'm doing and I can grip things better.

Status
Not open for further replies.