my HD 499 Special 25 ton splitter Should i Beef up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mroverkill

Feeling the Heat
Aug 10, 2010
Northern nj
overkillauto.com
so we all know that there "is" a problem with the turriouns tearing after age or uver use.

i got mine in oct of last year and i see that they have "beefed" up there new ones by adding a thick bead about 3/4" long away fron the center to spread the load i guess

should i use my splitter untill the warr ends and hope this dosent happen to me or shall i have my friend thats a certified welder put a nice bead on

BUT does he have to disassemble the unit to do the welding of can he weld slow then cool then weld again >>??

If it isn't broke, sometimes it is better to not attempt to fix it.

Our 20 ton splitter is over 20 years old and it has been trouble free. There really is little that can go wrong on them.

Mroverkill, got the same one as you. Yes, the trunions do look beefed up--I'm not gonna touch mine until it blows up. At that point, I'll figure something out. Like Backwoods said, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

S

If its a known failure point that they elected to increase their UMC to fix in the new model, I would beef it up before it breaks.

thinkxin mine is the one before they started to add that extra bead of weld thats why im asking to make it stronger before it rips cause once it does its garbage.

but i dont know if the cylinder can be welded assembled or not i think it can but i have to ask my buddy

I have no idea if my splitter was beefed up or not . . . fact is it has split for two years with few issues . . . I am of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. I figure if it breaks it was meant to break and I'll deal with the issue then . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.