My hearth temp is 140 degrees, is that an issue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FPX Dude

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I have FPX36 insert with a ~18" hearth which is made of marble. That's on top of cement board, grout and frame structure stuff. When I put my hand on it, I can barely keep it there 1-2 seconds, then I zap it with IR gun and it sez 140, yikes...is that an issue? It's usually dependent upon how much wood is burning, and how close it may be to the window for a lot of radiant heat, but dang that sure seems awfully hot!

"My heart temp is 140 degrees, is that an issue?"

My hearth being that warm doesn't bother me. My heart being over 98.6 is a whole nother story. :coolsmirk:

Make a typo on the Internet and open season begins.

Geeze my bad, ok thanks...fixed!!! Eye sea it now, dats wat hapnz win ewe r in "eye tea" and git only too hrs sleep @ nite, den tri n post on da 4um. XOXOXOXOXOX from the bottom of my hearth!

That's why they require at least 2 layers of cement board below the top surface for that hearth.

Ok - back to the original question, lol. I just zapped the masonry surrounding my freestanding stove and got 156. Warm hearths are happy hearths - all that masonry surrounding your stove acts as a thermal bank, and it's a good thing.

My slate tiled hearthboard (R value of 1.39) hovers around 140 degrees. I'm no expert, but it seems a safe and reasonable number.

My hearth stone never gets above 110 degrees but the masonry on either side of the stove gets as high as 300 degrees.

I've clocked the cement slab directly under my stove at over 200º with the IR gun after a long, hot run. I would need a pretty well-insulated hearth upstairs to tame this fiery gal, but downstairs that slab holds lots of heat for a long time. One of the few advantages of a basement install. Then again, I wouldn't have to run 'er so hard if she was upstairs where she belongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.