My heat went out- Oh No!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdinspector

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2009
Northern IL
I just got back last night from a 2 week vacation to warm weather. Upon walking into the house, I noticed it felt a bit cold. The outside temp in my area was 5 degrees when I arrived home. I left for vacation on December 20 and my wife followed on December 24 (she had to work). We have 3 heating systems in my house (2 furnaces and a boiler for the in-floor radiant heat). She had turned off the 2 furnaces before she left (don't know why she did that) and apparantly the boiler failed during our vacation. She also forgot to turn off the water to the house, as I had asked. I diagnosed it as a failed thermocouple at the boiler pilot light and replaced it quickly after we got home ($10). We had the furnaces going and the stove going quickly and it SLOWLY warmed up. It's marginally warm this morning (75 in the family room where my stove is, but only 60 in the old part of the house). I am hoping that the plumbing isn't completely frozen and split. I know that the domestic hot water is working and is leak free. We still have a frozen pipe somewhere that is preventing cold water from flowing at the kitchen and one bathroom. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It seems that the temperature only went down to 29 degrees inside the house. I'm hoping that prevented a full hard freeze in a wall somewhere. Wait and see.

On a whim, I set up my temperature/data logger before I left, just for the heck of it. Apparantly, the heat went out some time on Christmas day. Take a look at the log of inside temps! There were several quite cold nights while we were gone. Pretty amazing how the interior temps hover around 33 degrees, even with the heat off.

Attachments

• christmas vacation temp log.jpg
    christmas vacation temp log.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 716
I'd make a good round looking for cracks in the pipes - especially areas around the exterior walls. I failed to check adequately after 9 days for power outage after the ice storm that hit the northeast last winter - had a few spots where water was really pouring through the broken pipes when the furnace was turning on!

EatenByLimestone said:
Good luck! I hope you didn't get any splits.

Matt

Yeah, the only splits you want are the ones in the stove! :lol:

JD, I hope you had a good vacation but it is not pleasant coming back to that. I hope it all works out well. Definitely keep a watch of water pipes.

Did get my kerosene torpedo in there this morning. I hate the smell and had hoped not to have to do that. Nevertheless, it all worked out fine. Around 11 am, it all opened up, no leaks so far... I keep running downstairs to look around. Problem is, my basement ceiling is plastered over in most areas, so I can't get to very many of the pipes. I think we're clear on this one. Now for a little discussion with my wife...

jdinspector said:
On a whim, I set up my temperature/data logger before I left, just for the heck of it.

Got more details on your data logger? Sounds like an interesting project.

'Our furnace kicked the bucket the first of October while I was away on a business trip. We've survived with only wood heat until now but hopefully by the end of today our new boiler will be up and running. I'm not sure our house would stay above freezing w/o the wood stove.

When I first saw my house, 2 hours after it came back on the market, the water in the toilets was frozen.. About 8 of the pipes had failed at the joints - the joints had pushed off. No splits though. Just last week the pipes that run under a kick-out in my kitchen which is over the deck, froze - took 2 days for them to thaw.. They look fine now..

Status
Not open for further replies.