My Holz Hausen...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzyk

Oct 24, 2008
schoharie county ny
My first holz hausen... Had fun building it, but I'm not sure its as stable as I would like. Hopefully it will stay upright as it is not for next season but the one after. It's also built wider and lower than most measurements I've seen ( 12' diameter, 7' high at center).

Attachments

• Waffle4.JPG
    Waffle4.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 557
  • Waffle5.JPG
    Waffle5.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 551
Looks pretty sweet and stable too. How long did it take you to build and how much wood do you have there?

Looks great! I don't think I have the needed patience but I may still try it! :)

Looks wider at the top than the bottom. When I made one like that it collapsed, then I made it more of a cone shaped top and it was much more stable.

Mine is 8 feet across and about 7-8 feet tall at the peak. It was starting to bulge, so I wrapped it with poultry netting. Since mine sits at the very rear of my property, it looks fine. I was worried about how it would look wrapped with metal netting, but you can't see the poultry netting aroud it unless you're about 10 feet away. It's very stable with the netting wrapped around it. If you don't mind the looks of it that close to your house, I'd wrap it with netting.

Rut, ro, raggy. Looks like it has a mushroom shape to me too. I think in the world of HH, that typically spells bad news in the long run. That chicken wire might not be a bad idea.

Edit: but it is one sweet looking pile of fuel.

Nice work, I like the short squat look (when it comes to HH ;-P ). I'm getting ready to build another, probably going to do it on pallets, but it looks so much better aesthetically right on the ground..... Is it art, fuel, or both?

Thanks for all the encouragement. The bulging at the top makes me a bit nervous too. Chicken wire the best idea I've heard to try to stabilze it. I really don't want to have to stack it again.

It wasn't too hard to build once I got moving on it (the top was a bit of a pain). I might try a second one as I think I have enough wood left for one more of the same size.

I have to say I always like looking at the HHs . . . but I don't have the time, patience or skill to stack wood that way . . . plus once I got it stacked I would hate the idea of tearing it apart during burning season . . . that said . . . I still like the looks of them. Nice job!

Status
Not open for further replies.