my insert is finally in and burning!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtaccone

Hearth Supporter
Jan 18, 2008
schenectady, NY
My buckstove 2100 insert is finally firing.:):) This is day 2 and it to my amaze is keeping the whole 1500 sq.ft. warm. My $505 gas/elect. bill made me get this thing going fast. I ran 6ft. of rigid up to the first flue tile and made a block off plate out of furnace tin (looks like hell but did the job) and cemented where the pipe goes into the stove. It burns nice mainly the gases at the top of the stove kinda looks more like a gas stove than a wood when it is burning at half throttle. Once it is hot I can hardly see any smoke from the chimney outside which also amazes me. the only 2 things I dont like about the stove so far is that it has a small opening and I have to recut all my wood in half to fit in the stove and the blower electrical wires make me a little nervous seems they could melt or something but thats the way the manual said to put it. The manual also said it is not necessary to direct connect the stove either which seems odd. So at this point all I have to do is call the insurance company tomorrow and let them know I had a fireplace insert and hope they dont cancel me or kill me with price.

My chimney also seems to draft really well compared to what I have read about not lining to the top hell when it was just a fireplace i could shut the flue damper half way and still have overdraft(9x12 flue tile) and the gas furnace/water heater has 8x8 with rotted out lower tiles and a broken cleanout door would still suck ur hat off. I lined that with 4" top to bottom this fall and still sucks the heat right out the hot water tank. Never seen a chimney with as much draft as mine is all.

Congrats on the new stove. The only problem I for see is when you have to sweep the chimney, that direct connect is going to be a pain and you will have to move the whole insert out and disconnect to sweep. With a full liner you just remove the baffle and sweep right down to the stove.

Yeah I am aware of what a groan that will be but hopefully I wont have to clean it this season and I plan to line all the way up next season

Status
Not open for further replies.