My Introduction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinM377

Hearth Supporter
I wanted to join this forum because I LOVE fireplaces! I live in an older home (around 100 years old) and I'm at least sure that there used to be a wood-burning stove here at some time in the past. I'm jealous of those that have a fireplace. There is this house outside my kitchen window that I can see when the smoke comes out of their chimney so I know that they have a fireplace. One of my neighbors has a gas-burning fireplace but I like the ones that burn wood. I have heard stories that these kinds of fireplaces require a lot of maintenance and care but I don't care because that's the kind I want.

I do have a question to those of you that have fireplaces and live in a house made of wood. I once had a contractor tell me that having a fireplace in a wood house wasn't a good idea - I think something about the embers falling on the wood and burning........... :down:

Yeah, I live in a log sided house with cedar paneling and 1" thick cedar roofing panels in the same room as my wood stove which also has a standard masonry wood burning fireplace in it too, house hasn't burned down in the 60 or so years it's been standing.... :)

Welcome to the club!

Jay

P.S. Gas burning fireplaces need maintenance too, my father has one.. and I've heard from gas fireplace owners who have had thermocouples fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.