My Mistake: Stove Convection Fan on constantly, igniter shuts down before pellets ignite.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gpack

Oct 24, 2009
SW Ohio
OK, my age is catching up with me. I violated rule #1 when servicing appliances by forgetting to remove the outlet while cleaning. My Glow Boy has the AccuTron 2 Control board which was unplugged prior to cleaning so I could remove the side panel and get access. When reassembling this, of course I got a surge of power to the board when I reconnected the harness to the circuit board. SInce then, the convection fan is always on and the igniter doesn't seem to stay on long enough to fire things up. Auger, combustion fan all seem to work fine. I can "coax" the pellets to light by using some starter gel and the stove works fine. Until I shut it down again. I have to let it run to cool and then the only way the convection fan shuts off is to unplug the unit from the outlet. I'm assuming it's the control board since I think chances are better I blew a chip on it rather than a switch or other component.

It sure sounds like the control has some issues. Unplug it and check the connection to the control board. May need to clean the contacts from the arc. While your there maybe have a glance at the board to see if a component looks fried. Check some other connections while you there. You could check the snap disc's with a meter. Maybe one got stuck from the surge! These are all guess's I don't own a glowboy and have only repaired 1 so far.

Maybe a local electronics place could swap the bad component(if found) for you. Otherwise looks like its control board replacing time.

OK on further inspection I found that I had pulled one side of the igniter limit off. Probably when poking the vacuum around in there. Re-attached, hooked everything else back up and back to normal operation. I've attached the system schematic in case there's other Glow Boy users out there that need something to reference. Just a note, overall the stove has been great. No problems other than what I've created in the three seasons of use...

Thanks for the input.

Attachments

• Glow Boy Wiring Diagram1.jpg
    Glow Boy Wiring Diagram1.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 989
Glad you goit going again.

Thanks for posting the diagram, I see what you mean about the limit and the wire. I haven't seen one like that. Usually there are only 2 limit snap disc's on a stove. The low or POF and the Hi limit. Learn something new everyday.

Stay warm
jay

Status
Not open for further replies.