My new soapstone lined fireplace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No special thickness really. My floor is 3/4" tiles and all the walls are 2.5" thick pieces. I used refractory cement to bond all the wall stones, but it was too thick to set tiles with. I researched like crazy and came up with nothing. So I decided to try polimer fortified thinset and it worked well. I've had a dozens of fires and its holding up beautifully! Do you have access to soapstone?

No special thickness really. My floor is 3/4" tiles and all the walls are 2.5" thick pieces. I used refractory cement to bond all the wall stones, but it was too thick to set tiles with. I researched like crazy and came up with nothing. So I decided to try polimer fortified thinset and it worked well. I've had a dozens of fires and its holding up beautifully! Do you have access to soapstone?

Did you use the polimer thinset as grout also? Or just left the grout lines open?

I might. My family owns a commercial construction company, and we do work in a lot of schools that are getting demo'ed and remodeled. I'd imagine that those old science lab counter tops would work ok. I'd just have to wait for the right project to come along!

If not, I'd have to buy it retail somewhere. Do you have any recommendations?

The ashlip I did was actually from one of those countertops!
I use grey refractory cement as grout on the entire project. I don't know where to get soapstone other than scrounging it.

Status
Not open for further replies.