My New Used Jotul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Blazzinghot

Feeling the Heat
Dec 5, 2019
New Plymouth, Idaho
A couple of days back I was on Craigslist looking for another wood stove to work on when I saw this 2017 Jotul F45 for sale for $500.00. I called as soon as I could and the owner said yes I still have it. I was shocked and said I want to see it. So we set up a time for the following day at 5:30PM. When I arrived he told me that his had several calls on the stove with one person offering him more money. I was glad this guy was honest as he told me that the conversation never even got as far as him wanting to know how much more they were going to offer. We were able to slide the Jotul up on a sheet of plywood into the back of my truck. I am excited and am going to put this stove in my home and sell the wood stove I am using now.

I have read most of the post on this forum about this stove and it sounds like it will produce some good burn times. I will find out more once it is hooked up. The stove is in very good condition. It came with two lengths of double wall pipe and the stove tool poker kit.

As it .jpg Cleaned up .jpg Front View .jpg

SCORE:cool: Interested in your initial report. Guessing you are replacing a much older stove? Enjoy

Reactions: MR. GLO
Is that fresh paint or just really new looking paint? Good getting a preEPA2020. I don't know that the post 2020 stuff is quite dialed in yet.

Ah i think you got more than 1/2 off that stove.

Great deal! You’ll love the stove, it’s a great heater. Keep us posted.

If you decide you don’t want it, I’ll buy it from you.

moresnow, it was a great find and I was anxious to get it. I have a Country Stricker which is a good stove but this Jotul is much newer so will switch them out. I am sure I can sell the Country Stricker for what I paid for this stove.

Highbeam, no fresh paint it might be wet from me wiping it down with a wet rag. It is just like new. The bricks are in very good condition. It is a 2017 stove. The man had just purchased the home was ripping out the carpet and flooring and did not want this stove. He really did not know much about it until the calls started to pour in. As stated I am glad he keep his word as I was first responder as he could have gotten more for it.

bigealta, from what I could find this stove sold new for about $2,000. I like the idea of the inner 3/16 steel with the outer cast iron which should radiate some good heat. No selling this jewel.

Todd, thanks I will keep everyone it may take some time to replace the stoves.

Sweet deal.

Is that fresh paint or just really new looking paint? Good getting a preEPA2020. I don't know that the post 2020 stuff is quite dialed in yet.
The post 2020 F45v2 only had minor mods to make it more efficient. This season's reports are good. The new one sounds like it may be even better.

It was a sweet deal. The 2017 Jotul heats 1500 sq. ft. and the 2020 heats 1800 sq. ft. to they must have done something to make it more efficient. I have not installed it yet as I need to build a free standing heat shield to put behind it. When I get it up and running I will give a full report.

Reactions: bigealta
Only difference I can see between the two is the baffle. The V2 has turbulator fins on the front baffle and a row of secondary air holes in front of them. I’m thinking this new baffle helps clean up higher rate burning creating more turbulence. Looking at the EPA test numbers the V2 burns the cleanest at the medium burn rate. I know I can see a lot of secondary burning going on between the fins with higher settings when I take a peek up there.

Todd, I read about the turbulator when I was trying to find the PDF manual on my Jotul. The Kimberly has something very similar and may be the first I know of that came out with the idea of spinning the secondary air. This is the best picture I could find of their set up. This stove has a very low emission rating 3.2 grams per hour.

Top Inside.jpg

Reactions: Todd
Just a quick note about the new 2020 stoves:
I bought a Green Mountain 40 and it was pure junk---refused to burn wood, turns out the air intake was blocked when built, after fixing that it still would not burn so I called the manufacturer and they told me that there was a factory design defect at the air inlet in the woodbox and that I would have to have my dealer apply for the upgrade. 2 months later it arrived and the stove still would not burn----BUT the stove would fill the house with smoke. Had to ship it back and get a refund. Crap.
Then bought a VC Encore and it is the BEST stove I have owned in over 60 years. It works so well that it makes me smile every time I use it!
I bought the catalyst version which allows for use of the catalyst or not. Emissions are rated at 1.1 g/hr. Watching the chimney outside there is almost no smoke when cold and when warmed up there is none. Stove lights first time every time and after it warms up you can open the front doors, put a screen there and enjoy the fire! Has never smoked the house. Top loading is fabulous.

Reactions: MR. GLO
Well yesterday I finally got around to replacing my Country Striker with the Jotul. Our first fire was just about at sundown it was 34 degrees outside. I found the Jotul F45 was cold start compared to my other stove. Very important to get the flue heated up before it can really take off. I read all the specs on distances and decided to build a heat shield for the back which I don't think is needed. I had the stove up to 475 degrees and the metal shield was hardly warm behind the stove.

The fire is outstanding and gets a better secondary burn than my other stove and is easier to control. The blue flames dancing mid air in front of the window is mesmerizing. My wife wonders if I am still on earth when I am watching the flames. In front of the wood stove watching the fire is a good place to let the mind drift away.

My wife put in a log before bed at about 11:00 and I put in another log at 2:00 AM and still had a good bed of coals at 6:00. When I say log I mean a half piece about 16 inches long by 8 inches in diameter. We have not loaded it full yet to check the overnight burn time.

We ran the stove between 325 degrees to 475 degrees most of the night. So far I am a very pleased with how it works.

Ready to Go .jpg Nice Flame .jpg Stove Set Up .jpg

Thanks for the likes and yes Rick this was a great find. Just a few weeks before this someone had a Pacific Energy stove for sale on Craigslist for $450.00 it also has a cast iron shell on the outside and was like brand new but I was just one call short of getting it. When I was the first caller on the Jotul I was very excited.

Been burning this Jotul for a few days and the glass window is still 100 % clean. My wife and I really like the nice even heat it puts out. But like any secondary burn stove it is hard to control when the weather gets above freezing. But we can just let the fire go out and let our split unit take over in warmer weather.

Yes the glass on this stove stays very clean, only wiped mine off a couple times this year and didn’t really need to.

What do you mean by hard to control when weather gets above freezing? I get very nice long 12+ hour burns when temps are in the 30-40’s.

Todd, You are making me want to trade my f400 for an f45.

I just did a seach all craigslist search for jotul f45 up to 2000 miles from nj. 0 results.

Thats awesome. I would love to find a good free stander to place in and in front of my fireplace as my insert just doesnt give all the heat I want and long overnights arenet happening. Size of my living room and set backs/clearances are a great negative aspect. But I do love the heat I get and it looks great. Congrats on your sweet victory

Yes the glass on this stove stays very clean, only wiped mine off a couple times this year and didn’t really need to.

What do you mean by hard to control when weather gets above freezing? I get very nice long 12+ hour burns when temps are in the 30-40’s.
Todd, Our home is well insulated two story old farm home. The downstairs is only about 700 sq. ft. and the wood stove is in the living room. That area gets pretty warm. We have a ceiling fan on low to distribute the heat. I don't like to turn run the stove in the creosote range so try to keep the temp above 300 degrees but his makes the living area and dinning room to warm. I am open to any pointers you might have to offer.

If you have the same stove as mine I think mine is missing the bottom shield could you send me a picture of the bottom of your stove so I can compare? I already wrote Jotul but they said my stove should have a bottom shield. My hearth pad gets pretty warm.

This is a pic of an older model but it’s the same as my 2020 V2.

700 sq ft? Yeah that’s a tough one to heat 24/7 when the temps are mild with this stove. I heat 600 sq ft log cabin with a 200 sq ft loft and high ceilings and there are times I just open the loft window to cool off. lol many times instead of trying to keep it going with coals for a reload I just start a new fire once per day and let the house hold the heat til I need another fire. I find it pretty easy to just load the desired amount of logs and use a homemade sawdust fire starter in the middle front and let her rip, no kindling needed. When I have outside temps in the 30’s to lower 40’s I can usually get away with a 12 hour reloading schedule but when it’s warmer I just do single fires. Colder weather my loading gets progressively more with hotter smaller fires. It was -35 this morning and I’m doing half loads at half air every 4 hours to keep the cabin at 75.

This is a pic of an older model but it’s the same as my 2020 V2.

700 sq ft? Yeah that’s a tough one to heat 24/7 when the temps are mild with this stove. I heat 600 sq ft log cabin with a 200 sq ft loft and high ceilings and there are times I just open the loft window to cool off. lol many times instead of trying to keep it going with coals for a reload I just start a new fire once per day and let the house hold the heat til I need another fire. I find it pretty easy to just load the desired amount of logs and use a homemade sawdust fire starter in the middle front and let her rip, no kindling needed. When I have outside temps in the 30’s to lower 40’s I can usually get away with a 12 hour reloading schedule but when it’s warmer I just do single fires. Colder weather my loading gets progressively more with hotter smaller fires. It was -35 this morning and I’m doing half loads at half air every 4 hours to keep the cabin at 75.
The loft would be a big plus we have 7' 6" ceilings. Yesterday we did let the stove go out about 6:00 PM and did not light a fire until morning. It stayed about 74 until bed time. The house was not all that cold in the morning so I turned on the split unit and cleaned the stove and we have had it going all day by putting in one half log at a time to keep the temp down which is great. We keep the living room window open about an inch which helps. I understand what you mean about more wood with lower temps as I have been doing the same thing. But have not tried a full load of wood yet as it has not been that cold.

Thanks for the picture I do have the heat shield but was expecting more of a gap between the stove and the shield as I have seen on other stoves. My hearth pad gets pretty hot. I have wood flooring under it and it does concern me. So might dream up something just to make myself feel better.

Todd, I read about the turbulator when I was trying to find the PDF manual on my Jotul. The Kimberly has something very similar and may be the first I know of that came out with the idea of spinning the secondary air. This is the best picture I could find of their set up. This stove has a very low emission rating 3.2 grams per hour.
The idea of turbulation has been around for a bit. Some old Dovre stoves had a turbulator and the Dutchwest stoves did too. I think the Econoburn & Tarm boilers used one too.

This is the turbulator used on the Dovre 300H.
261252-8483e7f311a2dfea1e2f249d058d808e.jpg