my new wood hauling truck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fyrwoodguy

Feeling the Heat
howdy all, i've been gone from here since feb. been working on my new truck. i would like to have any of our members who has a truck simalar to mine to post how they like'em and if they have had any problems with them. the only problem so far with mine has been a fuel filter change right after the first fill-up,been ok since. the truck has 2058 miles. and is getting 13.6 mile per gallon with break in oil still in engine. i am going to run mobil delvac elite synthetic 15w-40 motor oil. the body i made has removeable headboard,sides and tailgate which has release switch in cab.it dumps also.it has a flip-up gooseneck trailer ball that is located below the floor.and a square receiver hitch on the back of the truck also. it's a 6.6 duramax deisel.6-speed allison transmission. looking forward to responses!!!

Attachments

• DROID CELL PHONE PIC'S 013.jpg
    DROID CELL PHONE PIC'S 013.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 577
  • 2011 DURAMAX 1.jpg
    2011 DURAMAX 1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,090
  • 2011 DURAMAX.jpg
    2011 DURAMAX.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 2,080
  • Diesel place pic 2 Large Web view.jpg
    Diesel place pic 2 Large Web view.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 584
  • DURAMAX 3.jpg
    DURAMAX 3.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 597
Is that a duramax diesel engine in it? My FIL has had numerous problems with the stupid fuel filter. fairly easy to change when you get the hang of it, but it has caused us many problems on trips. Then engine would go into limp mode and you couldn't top 50mph and you had to be light on acceleration. Problem usually set in on sunday about 2000 miles from any auto store. My dad has the duramax and has only had to change his once for about three for the FIL on similar miles. Get a spare and carry it in your glove compartment. If yours is a gasser, then I don't know nuthin' about that being a problem.

Danno77 said:
Is that a duramax diesel engine in it? My FIL has had numerous problems with the stupid fuel filter. fairly easy to change when you get the hang of it, but it has caused us many problems on trips. Then engine would go into limp mode and you couldn't top 50mph and you had to be light on acceleration. Problem usually set in on sunday about 2000 miles from any auto store. My dad has the duramax and has only had to change his once for about three for the FIL on similar miles. Get a spare and carry it in your glove compartment. If yours is a gasser, then I don't know nuthin' about that being a problem.

That beats letting the $4000 injector & lift pumps burn up. . .

Outstanding!

loon said:
thats a beauty ;-) how much wood is that in it?

loon

well, i think around 1 cord of 24" fireplace wood. the place where the wood landed-the owner is going to finish scale'in and we are going to compare.

the 1st load pictured here got hauled up pinkham notch to the base of mt washington (highest peak in the northeastern usa)and back down. everything you see in gm's commercial is true. absolutely no lack of power going up the notch.engine brake works nice , going down.

Attachments

• DURAMAX 4.jpg
    DURAMAX 4.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 511
  • DURAMAX 5.jpg
    DURAMAX 5.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 488
  • DURAMAX 6.jpg
    DURAMAX 6.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 492
You're well advised to be fussy about engine oil with a diesel, because of high average "stress levels" on compression rings. Any significant wear of rings or upper bore, and you have a big problem. Much less expensive to give it frequent changes of quality synthetic.

Your fuel mileage should increase as things break in. And ... driving in winter in northern NH didn't help boost your numbers either.
Happy hauling.

Awesome truck!! The duramax engine is a beast.

Sounds about right. That is what I average with my 24v 2500 Ram and 3500 12v Ram when I had that one.

north of 60 said:
Congrats on your new truck. The 14 MPG sounds NOT very impressive though.

Truck looks handier than all hell. Been MANY times that I wished I had a dump bed on a truck. I borrow my friend's truck once in a while but that is a early 70s C60 Chev so it's big and slow... like top speed is 50-55mph.

I have the Duramax in my work truck. It is a beast. As mentioned carry or change the fuel filter often, the quality of deisel these days really sucks. I did loose #1 injector last month, a costly fix @800.00. I too am getting on average of 14 mpg while towing but empty i am getting 18 to 19 with just a 4" exhaust instead of the stock.

Sharp looking truck.

NATE379 said:
Sounds about right. That is what I average with my 24v 2500 Ram and 3500 12v Ram when I had that one.

north of 60 said:
Congrats on your new truck. The 14 MPG sounds NOT very impressive though.

Truck looks handier than all hell. Been MANY times that I wished I had a dump bed on a truck. I borrow my friend's truck once in a while but that is a early 70s C60 Chev so it's big and slow... like top speed is 50-55mph.

17+ is the normal (being conservative) mpg on a 12 valve even without mods pulling. Dont know why yours is so poor. The more mine is modded the better I get. No emissions to deal with. None of the new trucks are getting like the old trucks. Even the older powerstrokes are up there. The new ones are beautiful but EPA has killed them at the pumps. Doesnt make sense . More processing at the plant for more fuel burned=less fossil fuels in the ground. You pay for it somewhere.

That is a first class operation there. The Duramax is a fine diesel platform!

CTYank said:
You're well advised to be fussy about engine oil with a diesel, because of high average "stress levels" on compression rings. Any significant wear of rings or upper bore, and you have a big problem. Much less expensive to give it frequent changes of quality synthetic.

Your fuel mileage should increase as things break in. And ... driving in winter in northern NH didn't help boost your numbers either.
Happy hauling.

here's a pic of my biggest suprise AFTER buying my new truck. i spent about 6-8 hrs researching the oil classification "CJ-4" .
thus i landed on choosing mobil delvac elite motor oil. i purchased 3 of 4-1gal case,should be good for 100,000 miles or better

Attachments

• DEF.jpg
    DEF.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 256
Biggest surprise
It must suck to have to buy piss to put in your truck.And it's not real cheep i'v heard.
If you have any Questions about the duramax in your truck,check out www,thedieselpage,com,it's like the Hearth.com site for GM Diesels.
Wish i had your truck,would mean that my bank acc. was overfilled and my Honeydo list would be done

salecker said:
Biggest surprise
It must suck to have to buy piss to put in your truck.And it's not real cheep i'v heard.
If you have any Questions about the duramax in your truck,check out www,thedieselpage,com,it's like the Hearth.com site for GM Diesels.
Wish i had your truck,would mean that my bank acc. was overfilled and my Honeydo list would be done

i hope the DEF works, i don't mind buying the stuff if it works and causes me no problems.
i will try out that dieselpage
good luck with that new house!!!!

Very nice truck .... a friend of my has the twin of yours but a chevy and not a gmc... did you choose the wire mess body for weight reduction ? anyways some bad news there has already been a recall for the DEF system !?!

94ranger55 said:
Very nice truck .... a friend of my has the twin of yours but a chevy and not a gmc... did you choose the wire mess body for weight reduction ? anyways some bad news there has already been a recall for the DEF system !?!

i wanted wire mesh body for visibility both ways,wind resistance and weight reduction. i aint been notified yet on any problems with my truck,but i have read about some on other forums.i guess it's a wait and see game for me at the present time. thanks for the complemnt on my truck!

Status
Not open for further replies.