My Okie Black Hills experience......so far.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Branson4720

Burning Hunk
So......I have read all of the posts concerning other people's experience with the Black Hills with great interest, and I would like to add my two cents worth after burning through about a half ton so far.
First, I do admit that the bags have a fair amount of smaller pellet pieces and some fines content. This is NOT acceptable.....and I hope the Upton facility can rectify this problem with future batches.
Second, I have found that turning the feed rate on my Accentra up to 3.5, burning in room temp mode produces the best results for me. My feed rate has usually gone no higher than 2.5 over the years burning every other fuel.
Third, these issues and adjustments aside......these pellets are one of the HOTTEST fuels to ever enter my burnpot!:) Through this historic cold we have been having, this fuel rocked! The Ponderosa Pine burns with a blue base and whitish flame tips.......high BTU. I do realize that a top shelf fuel with a top shelf price should be fines -free and more uniform in size......but the heat has made me a believer:eek:
I plan on purchasing a few more tons for the stockpile. Cubex is now my new shoulder fuel!<>

Reactions: oldmountvernon
Ok Im getting some next week lets see :p
Hopefully your experience will be as good as mine;) Maybe if your batch is newer the bagging problems will be rectified. But hey.....don't write off your Somersets, they are certainly a nice hot fuel too!

Branson,...Nice Post. Black Hills are a super hot pellet and the Ponderosa Pine is like no other. It is a darker wood (as you will see) and the heat that these pellets put out has been reported as "super Hot!" Like any pellet that you will find anywhere in the world, there will be good reviews on it and there will be bad reviews on it. I have probably physically handled more pellets than anyone that you know, and I am yet to find "Perfect Pellets," meaning that even the best have some flaws. (ie. too dusty, small pieces, bags not strong enough, funny smell, funny color, too much ash, too thin, too short, too long, too pretty, too ugly etc...) When you are able to reasonable, and don't obsess too much about finding a "zoomba instructor" then you realize the value in good hot pellets. As for the small pieces, they will improve!

Reactions: Branson4720
Branson,...Nice Post. Black Hills are a super hot pellet and the Ponderosa Pine is like no other. It is a darker wood (as you will see) and the heat that these pellets put out has been reported as "super Hot!" Like any pellet that you will find anywhere in the world, there will be good reviews on it and there will be bad reviews on it. I have probably physically handled more pellets than anyone that you know, and I am yet to find "Perfect Pellets," meaning that even the best have some flaws. (ie. too dusty, small pieces, bags not strong enough, funny smell, funny color, too much ash, too thin, too short, too long, too pretty, too ugly etc...) When you are able to reasonable, and don't obsess too much about finding a "zoomba instructor" then you realize the value in good hot pellets. As for the small pieces, they will improve!
Thanks.....I agree with you 100%! As far as the smaller pellet pieces improving, I belive they will. The first three test bags I purchased back in October from an earlier batch had absolutely zero fines and very uniform pellet size. Whatever the bagging hiccup was, I know that they can do better. I actually think these burn hotter than some of my previous Doug Fir stash.....that's sayin' alot:)

So......I have read all of the posts concerning other people's experience with the Black Hills with great interest, and I would like to add my two cents worth after burning through about a half ton so far.
First, I do admit that the bags have a fair amount of smaller pellet pieces and some fines content. This is NOT acceptable.....and I hope the Upton facility can rectify this problem with future batches.
Second, I have found that turning the feed rate on my Accentra up to 3.5, burning in room temp mode produces the best results for me. My feed rate has usually gone no higher than 2.5 over the years burning every other fuel.
Third, these issues and adjustments aside......these pellets are one of the HOTTEST fuels to ever enter my burnpot!:) Through this historic cold we have been having, this fuel rocked! The Ponderosa Pine burns with a blue base and whitish flame tips.......high BTU. I do realize that a top shelf fuel with a top shelf price should be fines -free and more uniform in size......but the heat has made me a believer:eek:
I plan on purchasing a few more tons for the stockpile. Cubex is now my new shoulder fuel!<>

What do you pay a ton. they are expensive on Long Island around 340 a ton. It would be worth picking a ton up for the really cold days and storing. But i can almost buy 2 tons for 30 dollars more?

What do you pay a ton. they are expensive on Long Island around 340 a ton. It would be worth picking a ton up for the really cold days and storing. But i can almost buy 2 tons for 30 dollars more?
I paid 285.......340 would be a bit of a stretch! The added cost must be trucking from Upton, MA to your neck of the woods.

Might go pick up a few bags and try them. But had no problem heating the house with Stove chow and gaps last week. in the single digets and house was 73 degrees

I liked them, except the bag was pasted with fines - almost like they went into the bag wet, because the fines were "glued" onto the bag.

So do you use the feed rate dial to control heat output on your harman? If so, I am curious why you spent the extra money for a Harman when you could have bought a simpler stove that doesn't have the brains of a Harman.

So do you use the feed rate dial to control heat output on your harman? If so, I am curious why you spent the extra money for a Harman when you could have bought a simpler stove that doesn't have the brains of a Harman.
I don't use the feed rate to control the heat output. With the Black Hills pellets the first thing I noticed was how they don't feed quite the same as other fuels. I think it has something to do with the size or the consistency of the pellet. Most other fuels have an almost "slippery" surface, these don't. I realize that they are "Log to chip" type of pellets......so that may explain it. Anyhow......By turning up my feed rate, they feed more consistently. I wonder if other people's problems with "jammed auger" was actually due to a feed rate issue? I dunno.o_O

I don't use the feed rate to control the heat output. With the Black Hills pellets the first thing I noticed was how they don't feed quite the same as other fuels. I think it has something to do with the size or the consistency of the pellet. Most other fuels have an almost "slippery" surface, these don't. I realize that they are "Log to chip" type of pellets......so that may explain it. Anyhow......By turning up my feed rate, they feed more consistently. I wonder if other people's problems with "jammed auger" was actually due to a feed rate issue? I dunno.o_O
Interesting.

I'm using both BLACK HILLS and OKIES. The Black Hills burn about 5-10 degrees less than the Okies for me at the same settings. So, the price of buying them has to reflect that for me. The Black Hills don't slide as well as the Okies and I push about 10 lbs down that are hung up when I refuel. I use the Okies for nights that go below 15. Both burn Very Hot compared to most other pellets I've used. I do have a homemade sifter (I made it out of ferring strip, chicken wire and old paneling) and spend about 15 minutes, every Saturday, doing a dozen bags. Haven't had any auger problems after I started sifting. Just my 2cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.