My One Ton, One Month, Review of the USSC, Ashley and other models of the Bay Front design by USSC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Doty

Burning Hunk
Please, Read to the end to understand my logic and not just the first line as a take away.

I would not buy this stove again personally. It is a good value and has not failed me but I would personally pay the extra for something without the daily scraping and cleaning. It does not take that long but it kind of has to be done, if you want to keep heat coming out of it !! Since it is a 24 to 36 hour ritual and I prefer to do it my self it often seems to need done when it is not convenient to my schedule. It is a LOT more money !!! but I would buy a Harman P series and it will run days without attention other than pellet loading and I could more likely fit the cleaning into my personal schedule where I want it to fit. This would make pellet heat more enjoyable for me. Feeling a little like a slave to the stove with this one. I am not sure about blower noise on others but this one is loud, it sits next to our TV and competes well for volume, by the time the TV gets loud enough the overall sound in the room is almost outta control. We tend to max out the stove when we first get home, warm it up in the house a little extra, then shut it down to clean nightly. We tend to run it on high till TV time and back it down to watch an hour or two of tube and then nudge it back up for more heart for bed time. Over all it has not caused any problems, seem a bit pellet fussy maybe. I hear the burn pots in 2014 have been changed to steel and are flaking and warping, my 2013 USSC has a stainless and it cleans to look new very easily. Heat is good to great. It will run us out of our all glass 16x20 sun room with skylights and get it up to the mid 80's easily on high and use approx. 2.5 bags per. day on this setting. I want to test the low setting pellet consumption but rarely find a need to be set there, it is 2-5 settings for us. Mathematically it would be around 30 hours, our dealer lied and said 1 bag a day but he did not mention he runs his 10 hours !! When I was having trouble and needed a bit of help the was none available from my dealer even though it was promised, USSC was unreachable for 2 days with nothing but busy signals. I have included below a screenshot of my little spread sheet of info gathered since owning the stove.

NOTE: If buying from a big box, there will not be any service available so just buy used for half price on craigslist if money is important to you.

NOTE: This forum is your best source for help and information unless you buy from a good reputable dealer that backs up his product.

NOTE: It has not failed us or let us down and works as designed. I will also say I have read nearly everything printed and as far as stoves go this one is very easy and uninvolved to clean daily and the same on the monthly's.

410529219.jpg

Last edited:
You are way too analytical for one and secondly, they all need cleaned at regular intervals, the pretty faces and the fugly ones.

Humping your wife is much more rewarding btw.

You are way too analytical for one and secondly, they all need cleaned at regular intervals, the pretty faces and the fugly ones.

Humping your wife is much more rewarding btw.

Ya, I just dump pellets vacuum a bit and mostly back to the la'ter now !

Status
Not open for further replies.