My remote boiler thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbsdolmar

Sep 15, 2009
Central Pa
Here's my latest toy for the biomass. This is a Dwyer TSS2 temperature control with a TS-1 probe in an aquastat well placed in a 2" tee off the supply line. I have this in my living room so I don't have to go out and see what the boiler temp is. The boiler is 80' from the house. This is a 24 volt control and I ran it through some of the not used 18-8 thermostat wire I have going out. This control also runs my dump zone and I have it hooked up to a radio in my bedroom to wake me up if it gets below 160 degrees. It also has built-in alarms to set in the control itself.

Attachments

• remote thermometer 002.jpg
    remote thermometer 002.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 548
That's abetter idea than I had. I got the Azel ds-60. It's on it's way so I don't know how well it works. Mine comes with 2 probes, one for intake and one for return temps. It's wireless and good for 200 ft. and runs on a battery so I can put it anywhere in the house. It should work. I have a return temp gauge in the basement but running down stairs every hour is getting old.

ihookem, I think that still has to be wired according to what I read on their website.

Either way, it runs off 24 volts or a lithium battery.

Very nice!!

What is also nice about these products is that Dwyer have several versions that can be used a lot of different ways. Digital set points are very nice, and less money than the run of the mill, non temperature display aqua-stats.

Digital set points? I'm interested. I was thinking of having a temp gauge that turned off the fan when the water temp gets below 140, turns back on when water temps get to 150 or so. The reason is my boiler doesn't keep up and runs the water below 135 and my NG furnace kicks in. I don't like that but know nothing about heating. Would this temp gauge do that? This way I could use my very well insulated house as "storage" I know it sounds crazy but my wife starts warming up at 73*, less than 70 and she's cold. I could just let the fan run when the water temp is above 140 and that might work.

Yes you could do that with this temp control. I have it set to run my dump zone at 205 degrees in case the RK-2001 fails and turn on a radio to wake me up when it gets to 160 degrees. It has 2 relays on it.

Check out my recent thread, the title is something like, "Updated my controls, added features and data logger". I use two Dwyer Instruments temperature switches to run my boiler. The pictures of the controller cabinet looks pretty sparse with the new parts.

The TSS2 would do what you are looking for, that is the one I use. It has the ability to control an heat loop (which is what your high limit is doing) and the other controls a cooling loop which is the one you use to control your circulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.