1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

My scrounging site

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by basswidow, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. basswidow

basswidow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Milton GA
    Theres a decent tree left behind at my scrounging site. I wonder why? I am not sure what type of tree it is? Should I cut it up ?

Also the picture with my saw resting on a round, I also don't know what type of wood this is? I am unable to split it with a sledge and wedge. I guess I will leave it behind. I can't lift it and I can't split it.

I scrounged 2 truck loads of cherry and what ever these yellow rounds are - I am thinking it's ash?

Anyway, I am off to a slow start. Work had me traveling for 2 weeks and my chainsaw was in the shop.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      52.6 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      63.1 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      60 KB
      Views:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    Here is some of mine

Attached Files:

3. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    Here is 3 cords of oak lovin!!!

Attached Files:

4. CTBurner

CTBurner Member

Loc:
    SE CT

looks like ash, great wood, great score
  5. vwboomer

vwboomer New Member

Loc:
    wisconsin
    If you can't split it, cut it with the chainsaw. I did this with large rounds of red oak today. No sense leaving good wood behind.
  6. Eisele

Eisele New Member

Loc:
    South Jersey
    The Tree you have your chainsaw on is gum. I can tell because my father and I just had a hell of time splitting 3 cord of the stuff. If you dont have a log splitter I wouldnt recomend taking it. It burns wonderful but its hell to split even with a log splitter.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

If you look at this picture you will see 100% white ash. I have never worked with gum but have worked with a lot (a big lot) of white ash. So, can we use these two pictures for comparison? Ash vs. Gum?
  8. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Eh Dennis, don't you feel guilty using a splitter on Ash? I know I do. I mean Ash splits so easy that it practically separates to get out of the way of the axe! I don't think there can be any confusing Ash with Gum if you look at the splitting characteristics. The other, is smell. I don't know what Gum smells like but I recognize the smell of Ash from a 100 yards away.
  9. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Oh, I forgot... I should be asking your wife!
  10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    LLigetta, I asked my wife and she says I should not feel the least bit guilty as it makes her work much, much easier. lol
  11. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    Backwoods has a nice pile going! I used to do that, now I split a little at a time when I get a chance. Thats the nice thing about owning your own splitter. I think the first time I split 6 cords of all sorts of stuff in a weekend. A lot was elm so it was a fight!
  12. Eisele

Eisele New Member

Loc:
    South Jersey
    I am not a 100 percent sure but I think it is sweet gum because when you look at the grain of the wood it looks like its almost stained. and I never heard of ash in new jersey not growing wild anyway but sweet gum grows like crazy. The only way you could tell for sure was by the leaf or if there is little sticker balls on the ground. But the ash you have in your picture does resemble sweet gum pretty good there.
  13. Yamaha_gurl

Yamaha_gurl New Member

Loc:
    Ontairo
    Some women prefer men with lots of $$$, they want a sugar daddy....I'm looking for a wood daddy!!! lol Just kidding, please don't fill my inbox with messages :p
  14. chad3

chad3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeast CT
    May also be poplar. Not great wood if you can hold out and not take it. Just my guess.
    Chad
  15. myzamboni

myzamboni Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silicon Valley
    looks to be too yellow to be sweetgum. I'm splitting sweetgum right now and it is almost white.
  16. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Oh stop it now - gurl! Some on the board might have bad tickers ya know. ;-)

I would have to vote for Ash, but the truth is, I wouldn't know a gum tree if I saw it.
  17. basswidow

basswidow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Milton GA
    Wouldn't popular split easy? Now that I know I can noodle cut it, I am going back after it and the other big tree too. I was able to make a few splits off the side of it - but that wood is tough! Will see if the noodle cut will work on it. I am going to rent a splitter - I'll git it done one way or another.
  18. Backroads

Backroads Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Richmond, RI
    Now that's the official "Hearth" spirit!!!
  19. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Thats ash
  20. myzamboni

myzamboni Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silicon Valley
    Well shoot, based on that description is might be sweetgum. Ash should split pretty easy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.