My search for propane tanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdman

Hearth Supporter
May 21, 2008
NH
I have leads on tanks... and I thank those who have helped me. I would say I am most impressed with the people from AHONA. The price is fair and the service sounds great. The Tarm USA price for their pressurized tanks seems high. I am still working on my search to be sure I can get a 500 gallon propane tank for the best price and so I won't have to drive too far. I am currently working on 2 good leads.

My question to the forum. When I have the tanks secured and cleaned and they are all ready... what is my next step? Are the opening at top teh ones I will use? Or will I need to have someone do welding stuff?

That depends on the tanks. My tanks had plenty of appropriate openenings stock, no welding was required. Do you know what yours will come with yet?

Depends on set up too. Are you going to stack tanks ? AHONA tanks are not a bad deal especially is you want a heat exchange coil or coils added. They also offer a saddle for stacking. All you really need to do is insulate. Another expense that you need to add in.
Welding on these tanks can be a pain so depending on your design you need to figure welding cost too.
When picking out tanks it's nice to have a drain on the bottom tank, so if stacking try to get 1 tank with a fitting on bottom.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.