My southern Indiana hardwood experience

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2011
midwest
A few years ago my sister burns SIH in her Cumberland 3650. It completely caked up and choked her stove out with creosote in just a few days.

Fast forward to last week. I stopped by Menards to pick up a few loose bags as I didnt want to break open the ton of Somersets I've had stored outdoors since last year and all they have are SIH. No more Somersets, well we had a good run. I figure ill try a few bags of SIHs in my Accentra and not use my 3650. I fill up the hopper, fire it up and go to bed. The next.evening I go to clean her out and much to.my disgust my Accentra is caked with creosote. I just thought id mention my experience. If you are.having good luck with these more power to ya. All I can say is they messed up my sister Cumberland and my Accentra. Definitely done with them and Menards too I reckon unless they bring back Somersets. Fortunately I wont be very dependent on pellets this year as I have all of cheap propane and a 200,000 btu woodburner. Just an fyi.

Status
Not open for further replies.