my stove is running better now that it's not working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sculptor

Sep 22, 2009
central nc
I have always thought that my stove just wasn't putting out the heat that others claim. We have had a small warm spell here and when I tried to start my stove today the auger wouldn't turn. After talking with Mike from Englander this morning, he talked me through the trouble shooting. I disconnected the vacuum switch wire and moved it to connection next to it as well as the tube. My stove is working very well. The flame looks awesome and there is a noticeable difference in the heat coming out of it. When I would put my hand up to the blower it felt like a hair dryer's heat. Now it feels really hot!

Thanks Mike for the help. I'm looking forward to the new vacuum switch. I hope it still works this well when I install it. If not, I will just run it like it is now. The only drawback is the auger still turns when I open the hopper.... but I can certainly live with that!!

sculptor said:
I have always thought that my stove just wasn't putting out the heat that others claim. We have had a small warm spell here and when I tried to start my stove today the auger wouldn't turn. After talking with Mike from Englander this morning, he talked me through the trouble shooting. I disconnected the vacuum switch wire and moved it to connection next to it as well as the tube. My stove is working very well. The flame looks awesome and there is a noticeable difference in the heat coming out of it. When I would put my hand up to the blower it felt like a hair dryer's heat. Now it feels really hot!

Thanks Mike for the help. I'm looking forward to the new vacuum switch. I hope it still works this well when I install it. If not, I will just run it like it is now. The only drawback is the auger still turns when I open the hopper.... but I can certainly live with that!!

Could it be now that the vac switch is jumpered out the hopper being open has no effect on the shutting down the top auger?
Isn`t that how it worked before they started installing hopper lid switches?

Gio said:
....Could it be now that the vac switch is jumpered out the hopper being open has no effect on the shutting down the top auger? Isn`t that how it worked before they started installing hopper lid switches?

No upper auger on the CPM multi-fuel stoves....one auger only.

macman said:
Gio said:
....Could it be now that the vac switch is jumpered out the hopper being open has no effect on the shutting down the top auger? Isn`t that how it worked before they started installing hopper lid switches?

No upper auger on the CPM multi-fuel stoves....one auger only.[/quote
Thanks Mac. I should have read his signature.
Ok, same question again, would the jumped vacuum switch allow the single auger to turn.

yes. mine is turning with a jumped switch.

2 different switches in the CPM as well as newer 25- series older 25 series 2 auger stoves have just the "front door" vac switch , this is the one the OP and i bypassed to test today. the hopper switch is still active when bypassing this switch in this way on stoves equipped with both. i should state however this was done STRICTLY FOR TEST PURPOSES and when the OP's new switch arrives we will be installing it in the normal functional setup. stoves should not be run unmonitored with this or any other safety switch disabled.

Too bad I cannot run it this way. I am not kidding this stove is putting out more heat.

Sorry buddy but the vac switch is a safety switch and has nothing to do with heat output. Only way I could see it causing a problem AND the stove still working would be if it was consistently intermittently failing causing the auger to shut down for short periods of time, but not enough to make the fire die down. This would be extremely rare for this to happen.

it may be a safety but my stove has none of the on vac switch on hopper switch just light and go. but as time goes on people do dunb things and safety has to be added.

jtp10181 said:
Sorry buddy but the vac switch is a safety switch and has nothing to do with heat output. Only way I could see it causing a problem AND the stove still working would be if it was consistently intermittently failing causing the auger to shut down for short periods of time, but not enough to make the fire die down. This would be extremely rare for this to happen.

actually it can , if the switch does actuate but will not hold causing the stove to stop feeding and pick back up the unit would not be able to heat up to its normal running temps as the unit quits heating up each time the feed drops.

think vacuum and air density , if the switch holds when the stove is relatively cool and drops the switch as the air heats up and becomes less dense it would then pick the switch back up as the air cooled down and became denser again , so it would be up then down then up then down cyclicly so in heating it would be 2 steps forward 2 steps back all along

Status
Not open for further replies.