My Stove's Dirtier than Yours

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

restorer

Aug 16, 2006
Salt Lake City, Utah
Well, we seem to be concerned about our particulate emissions, but I say to hell with it, if the big boys can do it so can I. Here's my plan, I'm looking for the absolute dirtiest Out-Door Wood Burner I can find, maybe 300, to 500 thousand Btu's, one that will take all the green wood it can handle, cause I'm not going to store any wood, just cut as I need it from the local trees. Big stove means log lengths to 4 feet or more, and a good bridge crane should help me get the log to the stove. If I cut real early in the morning my neighbors won't figure things out, the light will be clearer in the morning. I figure I need about a 40,000 Btu unit, but you know bigger is better. I'm not worried about pollution, heck, I'm going to buy a great scrubber at surplus real cheap. Haul it to my place and not install it, just like the original owner didn't. Give my brother some work in court, you know how lawyer types are, so it should be cool. I think I have this energy thing figured out. See if these folks can do it, why not me?

http://tinyurl.com/2ad3vf

What a racket, I can sell my chlorine to swimming pool owners, maybe commercial laundries or just dump it in the river.

Geeze, ain't life wonderful. We argue about a pound of ash difference in emission from one very good stove to another, and industry plans the scorched earth policy, "how much earth can we scorch before the public notices?" I would hope that we can chose stoves and appliances for better reasons than mine has better stats than yours. We seem to waste a lot of time arguing this stove over that, but we should really be talking about a better reason for buying a particular stove. Was price, dealer cooperation, features, appearance, manufacturing material, or even color the driving force for buying? I find arguing about my stove is better than your stove sort of like second grade.

Thanks for letting me spill my bile, but I just think personalities and preferences get attacked for absolutely no good. I would think this forum is better used to help all of us, and not reinforce our insecurities. If I stepped on toes, and angered some folk sorry, I think it's time for me to take a sabbatical.

No toes stepped on. I know my stove is better than everybody else's. Now which one of the three I am talking about...

BrotherBart said:
No toes stepped on. I know my stove is better than everybody else's. Now which one of the three I am talking about...

Better than everyone elses just not as good (or good looking) as mine.

Mine is equivalent to a Volvo, they know they are so good in crash tests they dont bother wrecking them any more :p

Uncle Rich:

I think your point is well taken. I mean, I probably fart more particulates in the air per week than the difference between some of the mfg's epa rating's!. And another thing, my stove is better than everyones and I don't even own a stove yet!!.

The bottom line is that people are people and they can become very passionate on their opinions on issues that they are interested in. That's okay!, as long as the information is truthful and based on actual "facts". Sometimes these "facts" do become disputable in which the air needs to be sanitized with a little dose of the truth.

Although I am brand new to this forum, I can already sense some "history" amongst some members, but again, thats perfectly fine. As long as everyone respectfully states there position and accepts the fact that not everyone will agree on everything.

Heck, a lively-spirited discussion sure beats watching american idol or alike! and there are obviously a bunch of well educated and informative people on this forum.

I don't think that there is any need for anyone to take a break from this forum but possibly just a deep breath of fresh unparticulated summer air!.

I am personally looking forward to some more lively discussions in the future, I know that we can all take it!.

Yo! SH! Buy a stove. Cut some wood.

Actually BB, right now I am using a chain saw almost 10 hours a day...every day along with a draw knife (blade) and chop saw as we are doing the finishing touches up on our log home. Right now, we are hand making all of the railings for the entire home. They are comming out spectacular but take forever to build.

We are using hand picked charactor knot wood (dead standing trees) for the rails (5'-6'), and using 3-4' branches for the pickits. The finished product is really nice as all the wood is skinned (peeled) by hand using a draw knife.

This is taking up all of our time as we only get an 7-foot section of railing's done per 8 hours work (using two people). Fortunately, we are almost done. You should see the contraption I have rigged together to do the angled rails hole drilling for the pickits. Lets just say OSHA would cringe!

Hey Rich, why don't ya post that over in BI! :)

In that case SH, for this year I would consider buying your wood now so that it has a chance to season. It sounds like you have enough on your plate already.

Is this Nuts? I mean you have to be kidding, but it's all real. Who are you rattling? This is an environmental issue, I know that company is the largest American polluter, but I don't understand the rest of it. For a dumb newbie, any help?

Ok, I think I understand. Re-read some older posts and I think I get it. There seems to be a couple of schools of thought here. I think the best is helping others with issues about heating. Some seem to brand fixate, that can't be good. I guess if you get burned out trying to do the first because of the second you need to take a leave. Seems there are quite a few who contribute a great deal and then are gone. Do they come back when the snow flies? I'd like to get some of their opinions before it's too late. Any chance of having an amnesty recall? Seems a pity they have been alienated.

Status
Not open for further replies.