My System This Winter Thus Far (And Advice Request)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EPS

Burning Hunk
Jun 5, 2015
NH
In the fall of 2017 I had a big pine tree fall on our property and then in the Spring of last year I had it cut up, and I split and stacked it. All year long I go off into the woods and cut, split and stack (a lot of maple and birch and a few other decent kinds). Last Spring I built some log stores that fit the pieces I cut myself really well. In the Fall I had, for the second year ina row, a cord of seasoned hardwood and stacked that up. My system this Fall and winter goes like this: Each weekend I go to 1) The pine stacks and pick out 5-10 splits, 2) to the log stores and get a row or so of the small splits of maple and stuff, and then to 3) the hardwood stacks. The bigger pieces I split by hand even smaller. I do this circuit two or three times depending on the the forecast.

Then I bring in about a week's worth of wood of all varieties into the spot near the stove that we stack it, and then fill a small pallet on our enclosed porch with the rest, in case we need more as the week goes on. This has proven to be a really effective method.
1) Wood1.jpg 2)Wood2.jpg 3)Wood3.jpg

Here's what I would like some advice with (and I'm hoping to get it within the next hour or two because I am in the middle of my wood-moving part of the weekend): As you can see I have cleared out one of the spots in the log store. In image 3 you can see my stack of dogwood that I processed this Fall. Under the blue tarp in this image is some oak that I obtained and split and stacked in the Summer. It was green then. I think I can fit all of these two kinds of splits into the vacant spot in the log store (which proved to speed up the curing process seeing that it gets a lot of sun and wind and stays totally dry). Should I put the oak on the top and in the front, or at the bottom and the back of this port? Thanks.

20190210_145336.jpg Well, it's a moot point now as the dogwood filled most of the empty port. But I would like to put the oak somewhere that it will season well. I know I can't use it until 2021 at the earliest, but the dogwood is already pretty dry so that will be made part of my system starting in October or November.

Sounds like you're doing good.