1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

My trailer rebuild thread

Post in 'The Gear' started by bigbarf48, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Hills Hoard

Hills Hoard Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Melbourne, Australia
    i love a good build / restoration thread with pics....inspires me to get off my butt and start a few projects! Nice work

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. joecool85

joecool85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Keep in mind if you add a second axle you will need to move the first one. The two axles will need to be centered over where the existing one was. Also you will need a load equalize connecting the two axles, otherwise one axle will always get more of the load depending on the terrain etc and inevitably you will overload one of the axles and blow a tire of break the axle. Lastly, you would really need to beef the frame up a fair bit before it would make sense to put on a second axle. I wouldn't trust that frame with more than 2,000lbs MAX. Honestly, as an upgrade route I would suggest getting a welder to add some more lateral bracing to the frame and gusseting where necessary, then put in a new 2,000lb axle and run 12" or larger wheels. Ideally 13" because then you get into a lower pressure (12" wheels normally take 90psi, 13" normally only 60psi) which is a lot easier to fill.

Your best bet really is to just to keep doing what you are and clean it up and use it as is, should be a nice trailer as long as you don't over load it.
  3. bigbarf48

bigbarf48 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Stone Mountain GA
    Thanks for the offer bob. I'm gonna see if I can get these bushings in if I throw them in the freezer for a while

Joe- thanks for the tips. In all likelihood it'll remain single axle as long as it serves it's purpose alright for me
  4. joecool85

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I wouldn't mess with trying to get the bushings in if they aren't the right size. If you do manage to jam them in, they will only cause issues later. I'd get the right size ones.
  5. bigbarf48

Loc:
    Stone Mountain GA
    Just finished the last coat on the frame and the wheels. As soon as I get the bushing issue figured out ill be on to re-assembly:cool:

IMG_9943.jpg IMG_3497.jpg
  6. bigbarf48

Loc:
    Stone Mountain GA
    Got the leaf springs bolted in today and the wheels bolted to the axle. Tomorrow ill bolt the axle up and put the fenders on and then its on to the woodwork!

IMG_3441.jpg IMG_1340.jpg
  7. bigbarf48

Loc:
    Stone Mountain GA
    Well the trailer is on it's own weight again. Got the axle back under it and also painted the wooden frame in hunter green. Tomorrow the fenders will go on as well as the wooden frame and ill cut a new 2x4 to square up the front

image.jpg
  8. geoff1969

geoff1969 Member

Loc:
    australia
    might be an idea to run your trailer wires now through the frame , or make sure the wire has plenty of holding points for it before you cover up the deck , but starting to look good .
    n6crv likes this.
  9. bigbarf48

Loc:
    Stone Mountain GA
    That would be a good idea I just don't have my brake lights yet haha. I got the wooden frame bolted in and squared up. I'm measuring for the decking now. It's starting to look like a trialer again!
  10. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Looking really good!
    Will be a spiffy addition to your wood hauling :)
  11. bigbarf48

Loc:
    Stone Mountain GA
    Thanks bogy!

Got a lot done today. After the frame was bolted in I got all my 5/4X6s measured out and painted. I got all the stakeside pockets screwed in as well. The left side and tailgate are done and are easily removed using the corner connectors:cool:

Some pics from todays work:

IMG_4590.jpg IMG_2344.jpg IMG_6105.jpg IMG_4750.jpg IMG_2438.jpg IMG_2889.jpg IMG_4887.jpg

The sides come up 17 inches
    Pallet Pete and HDRock like this.
  12. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Almost ready to rock & roll.
    Nice job on the sides & squaring it up.
  13. bigbarf48

Loc:
    Stone Mountain GA
    Almost done! Finished putting in all the sides this morning. All are removable except for the front. Decking is layed out and just needs to be screwed down

IMG_3372.jpg IMG_6050.jpg IMG_5396.jpg
  14. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Got it loaded with wood today? :)

I have one that needs some TLC like you did to yours.
    Rusty & some decking need replaced.
  15. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    I put a few of these "d-ring" ties downs on at various locations.
    Come in handy when hauling misc stuff.

link: D-rings

sr10-c_dimensions.jpg

have them on utility & ATV trailer, on the boat, shop wall.
    Handy to have something to tie to .
  16. bigbarf48

Loc:
    Stone Mountain GA
    Yep I got a dozen of those at harbor freight. They'll be going in once the decking is finished up
  17. joecool85

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Looking good. Just be careful of those tall sides. Like I said, 9" tall load of oak in there and you will be at capacity. If you load it to the top of those 17" sides with green oak you will certainly break it.

That said, it really does look nice. Also, did you have to get new bushings or were you able to the ones you thought were the wrong size?
  18. bigbarf48

Loc:
    Stone Mountain GA
    Yeah I'll be mindful not to fill it all the way with wood, it'll be used for hauling scrap as well so the taller sides will be handy for that, along with any other miscellaneous yard trash/crap that needs hauled.

To get new bushings I would've been in about 40 dollars on 6 90 cent parts so after the freezer and a little dremeling the ones I got went in. If they fail down the road then ill get new ones but it seems like theyll do alright for now. I even went to a local trailer parts store and they didn't have a bushing big enough for my leaf
  19. joecool85

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Sounds like you have it pretty well figured out. Be sure to post pictures when it's all finished up, looks like a neat project.
  20. bigbarf48

Loc:
    Stone Mountain GA
    Thanks joe and will do.

It survived its maiden voyage! Granted it was just carrying a mower a blower and some gas but it didn't explode so it was a good trip haha. All that's left is some little things to button up: trim the rear edge of the decking so the tailgate will fit on, add d-rings, and paint
    joecool85 likes this.
  21. bigbarf48

Loc:
    Stone Mountain GA
    A few little updates from today...

Since this trailer will be used for my handyman/landscaping jobs as well as firewood gathering I added some touches to make it better suited for that duty

Ladder rack on the side: bungees down and locks to the stake side with bike cable

Extension cord hooks:

And I got the d-rings installed for tie down points, 4 on each side and 2 in the front corners. I have 2 more for the rear but ill wait until I get the brake lights mounted to see where there'll be room

Sorry about the sideways pics my phone isn't cooperating

Attached Files:

lazeedan and MasterMech like this.
  22. joecool85

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Looking good, but do the extension cords just sit on one hook each? If so I'd be worried about hitting a bump and losing them.
  23. bigbarf48

Loc:
    Stone Mountain GA
    They do. I considered that as well but it's a tight fit to get them on and the hook curves back over the top of the cord if you get what I mean. The cord slides into the hook moreso than it just rests on it. I may take it down my road over the speed bumps to see if I can knock them off but I think they're on tight enough that they'll stay
  24. joecool85

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Yeah, I agree on the testing over some speed bumps. Just do it when there isn't much traffic :)
    geoff1969 likes this.
  25. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Looking good.
    Multi use trailer.
    Should last many seasons ;)