My "Waterford Erin" consumes excessive wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wheelspanner

Aug 23, 2020
New Zealand
My 15 year old "Waterford Erin" consumes excessive wood. When I turned down the Thermostat knob (or primary air control knob- Item 50), I see no much difference in the flame up rising through the glass. Suspected operating shaft is slipping on the knob, but it works fine, still I re-tightened the grub screw to be sure.
Then I did a test a test - Blocking those 4 off inlet air holes with an high temp seal (rope), that immediately made a difference in the flame rise.
Am I to deduce from this, that even though the air control knob is turning the shaft, whatever is supposed to adjust the damper is not moving?
1. How easy it to inspect & replace this part, if necessary?
2. Have any of you encountered this problem, before?
Thanks in advance.

Is this behavior new this year? If it is, have you done a door gasket test to see if it is leaking?

Is this behavior new this year? If it is, have you done a door gasket test to see if it is leaking?
Not new behavior this year, have been progressively happening over the last 2,3 years.
Renewing doors gaskets was the first course of action I undertook.
Old seals were compressed, obviously due to aging. Anyway, replaced all seals.
Yet wood consumption did not drop, neither the flame rising pattern in the fire box, when the control knob turned down..

Is this an Erin 'e' or an Erin 90? The Erin e had a simple shutter for air control. I'm not sure about the 90, but generally, the air control on wood stoves is a simple affair.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Could not tell whether it is Erin 'e' or an Erin 90, but I could see a nameplate after opening the bottom door (Firebox air inlet) on the right hand bottom corner.
I too suspected it Shutter for primary air control must be something simple. When I shut down the fire place next time for regular maintenance in 2, 3 week's time, I will inspect, try fixing the problem and report in the forum what I found, for the benefit of others who may have similar problem.
(We are located in New Zealand and our winter will be truly over in 4 weeks, hence I will have more time to play with it).

Reactions: ehamgrams
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Could not tell whether it is Erin 'e' or an Erin 90, but I could see a nameplate after opening the bottom door (Firebox air inlet) on the right hand bottom corner.
I too suspected it Shutter for primary air control must be something simple. When I shut down the fire place next time for regular maintenance in 2, 3 week's time, I will inspect, try fixing the problem and report in the forum what I found, for the benefit of others who may have similar problem.
(We are located in New Zealand and our winter will be truly over in 4 weeks, hence I will have more time to play with it).
I'm having the same draft problem and I'm not sure what model Erin I have. Did you have any luck?

Make sure that the ash pan shutter is closing off tightly too. Sometimes a piece of charcoal can prevent it from closing tightly.