My Wheels Have Been Turning, I Heard Alot Of Creaking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
15' minimum from the floor of the stove. As much as you can do without poking a hole in the sky is better.

Gotta be double wall Class A pipe from where it meets the ceiling to the sky. With that short a pipe I would do double wall from the stove to the ceiling box also.

Pulling the trigger tomorrow on the stove.

Beginning the arduous task of chimney shopping. I figure 18' double wall all the way (yes, I researched, BB :) ! ), box, cap, etc.

Deals, thoughts are welcome.

The drop ceiling is outta here shortly, and we begin.

And, yes... I believe I have enough dry wood to accomplish this, this year. Nothing like having 6 50' pines, and 5 50' red oaks coming down.

Progress pics. The hearth.com equivalent of a road trip. :cheese:

God I love watching other people work and spend money.

Ain't it grand, BB ?????

Charging up the battery on the Rebel :)

Order accomplished :)

Nice folks :)

ETA 7 - 10 days, pick up local.

Now, to prepare the hearth area ;-)

BrotherBart said:

That's good to know. I thought I just about gave you a heart attack with our remodel.

BeGreen said:
BrotherBart said:

That's good to know. I thought I just about gave you a heart attack with our remodel.

You did. Oh you did.

Elvis is at the terminal :)

We realized we have to level the cement floor where the stove is going which means the kitchen has to come apart to accomplish this. The downstairs master had had all of the furniture put into the sitting area, so we have a holding area for apartment stuff to accomplish this. My idea of cement blocks as an over the winter measure was poo poo'd .....
action-smiley-034.gif

Murph and I are sleeping in the den on a futon
grinning-smiley-031.gif

BUT, I'm about ready to order the chimney
food-smiley-019.gif

How much leveling needs to be done? There a bolts in the bottom of the stove legs with a pretty good range for leveling.

Maybe a 2 - 4" drop with in 18 - 24 " best as I can recollect with out measuring. We have to cut the laminate out and see what we have.

Well, this is taking way longer than I thought it would, damn it.

Elvis is in the building, he's sitting on the cement pad, so when we can get to him ( he's surrounded by Kitchen cabinet frames at the moment), I can measure for pipe. Bottom of the stove for measuring, you said, BB?

Stove looks great !! Air control works wonderful ( I saw this as an issue in another thread)

Right now it's on the pedestal, maybe we will, maybe we won't change it.

12' from bottom of stove to ceiling, the chimney install location is more than 12' from the nearest roof points. I figure 15', but would feel better with 18'. Problem is, how high do you go before you need to support the new chimney? That is an expense I really don't want to deal with right now.

Best thing about this install is that I know I have the wood to cover it for the winter. Gotta get cracking on next year, but we'll be good to go.

And yes, BB, working on pics for ya :)

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

Sounds like it is getting there. Just gotta keep the Dixette warm this winter.

PS: Gas grills have pedestals. Wood stoves got legs. :coolsmirk:

BrotherBart said:

Sounds like it is getting there. Just gotta keep the Dixette warm this winter.

PS: Gas grills have pedestals. Wood stoves got legs. :coolsmirk:

It's a free option, included. Along with the back heat shield, which is needed in this case, we're at 12 1/2" from combustibles, if I remember correctly. Combustibles at the back of the stove, that is.

http://overstockstoves.com/50nowomo2sqf.html

cool-smiley-019.gif

The stove/oven/gas range is going to be 10 " away from the side of Elvis. I don't think it's an issue, but am asking, just incase, while there is time to change it.

I leave it to the experts but there ain't gonna be any gas appliance just ten inches away from a wood stove in this joint. I don't know what rule should apply and wouldn't care.

Ok, I just talked to the Dixette, who was able to do some measuring.

The distance from the side of the Timber Ridge to the side of the range would be 16". Range is 30" wide. Facing the front of the range, the wood stove would be to the right. The gas line is on the left side of the range (w/electronic ignition), located at the back lower left corner.

I've read & reread NFPA, town code, wood stove manual, and come up empty.

Plan B ... move the stove 10 ' away to it's original location, and replace the kinked copper piping with a new line. Shorter run for the copper from the tank.

Gas range will now against the bathroom wall. Wood stove is between the back door and the window.

Attachments

• HOUSE LAYOUT2.jpg
    HOUSE LAYOUT2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 118
Ok, I just talked to the Dixette, who was able to do some measuring.

The distance from the side of the Timber Ridge to the side of the range would be 16". Range is 30" wide. Facing the front of the range, the wood stove would be to the right. The gas line is on the left side of the range (w/electronic ignition), located at the back lower left corner.

I've read & reread NFPA, town code, wood stove manual, and come up empty.

Had to check a bit myself . . . according to our Inspector he doesn't know of any codes that stipulate a certain distance with woodstoves and gas appliances . . . he said in this case he would check with the woodstove clearances and check with the gas oven clearances and insure that both clearance requirements are met. He added that there shouldn't be an issue having the two appliances close to each other (providing clearances are met) . . . but he added that he would personally be a lot more comfortable having the two appliances being separated from each other in terms of feet rather than inches.

Thanks for checking, Jake :)

Plan B it is, with the gas range now being 12' or so away.

I like the sounds of that. ;-)

Jags said:

I like the sounds of that. ;-)

Me thinx you're not alone, Jags :)

I am sitting here befuddled Dix. I was in the local Lowe's today and they have one left over 13-NC sitting on the floor. Since they don't stock them anymore it is marked down to $359. Plus sales tax and after the tax credit the thing would cost me $263. I would really like to have the thing in place of that Jotul F3 in the basement (in case I haven't said it before I am a steel stove kinda guy) but I need another wood burning appliance about like I need shin splints. :shut:

Hope somebody buys it before I get back there. Probably tomorrow. :-S

BrotherBart said:
I am sitting here befuddled Dix. I was in the local Lowe's today and they have one left over 13-NC sitting on the floor. Since they don't stock them anymore it is marked down to $359. Plus sales tax and after the tax credit the thing would cost me $263. I would really like to have the thing in place of that Jotul F3 in the basement (in case I haven't said it before I am a steel stove kinda guy) but I need another wood burning appliance about like I need shin splints. :shut:

Hope somebody buys it before I get back there. Probably tomorrow. :-S

Don't sweat it on my account, BB. There was nothing like that around here, I checked. I have a decent stove, at a decent price ( better with the credit !!), the whole house will be warmer, and not a drop of oil. I'm glad you pointed me in their direction ;-)

On the other hand... I don't know how you resisted the urge :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.