My Wood Burning Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clancey

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2021
Colorado
I have some questions about the install of my wood burning stove J.A. Roby Sirius cook stove. The box on the ceiling in the picture has a metal surround with screws to attach. My question is There is insulation up there in the dry wall on the ceiling (fiberglass with the paper backing) and would that stuff catch on fire or anything being close to that steel black box? On Friday my wood gets here and I have two large cages on the floor metal that will hold the wood kiln dried split 16 inches and are those cages far enough from the stove when they have wood in them for safety. We are finishing out the trim today and I am just going to leave those two walls behind the stove (cement board) until I can get the tile up on it and is this okay and can I light the stove without the tile being on it? Hey sorry for all the questions but first time at this and I am afraid of fire but in a few weeks the stove will be lite and intend to open up all windows and doors to get ready for the new stove smell and how many burns does it take to get rid of the smell and how hot does the stove have to be to burn this smell off so that it smells okay in the future. One more--How dry does the wood have to be and for the first time in lighting this stove I intend to make a appointment with the stove installer because he promised me he would light the first fire..( no charge)....Sorry for all the questions and thanks so much for all your help--thanking everyone sincerely..old mrs clancey

wood stove question 001.JPG wood stove question 002.JPG wood stove question 003.JPG wood stove question 004.JPG wood stove question 007.JPG wood stove question 005.JPG

I have some questions about the install of my wood burning stove J.A. Roby Sirius cook stove. The box on the ceiling in the picture has a metal surround with screws to attach. My question is There is insulation up there in the dry wall on the ceiling (fiberglass with the paper backing) and would that stuff catch on fire or anything being close to that steel black box? On Friday my wood gets here and I have two large cages on the floor metal that will hold the wood kiln dried split 16 inches and are those cages far enough from the stove when they have wood in them for safety. We are finishing out the trim today and I am just going to leave those two walls behind the stove (cement board) until I can get the tile up on it and is this okay and can I light the stove without the tile being on it? Hey sorry for all the questions but first time at this and I am afraid of fire but in a few weeks the stove will be lite and intend to open up all windows and doors to get ready for the new stove smell and how many burns does it take to get rid of the smell and how hot does the stove have to be to burn this smell off so that it smells okay in the future. One more--How dry does the wood have to be and for the first time in lighting this stove I intend to make a appointment with the stove installer because he promised me he would light the first fire..( no charge)....Sorry for all the questions and thanks so much for all your help--thanking everyone sincerely..old mrs clancey

View attachment 280048 View attachment 280049 View attachment 280050 View attachment 280051 View attachment 280052 View attachment 280053
Combustibles can absolutely touch the outside of that black box it gives the required clearances from the chimney.

As far as the tile it won't make any difference at all you either have the required clearance to combustibles or you don't. The tile won't change that a bit. Actually the cement board won't either.

Follow the manual's guidance on page 24. The first fire should be a small, kindling only fire with a low stovetop temp, say 200ºF. Then following fire can be hotter, say 400º. To fully bake in the paint the stovetop will need to reach about 500º+ on the next fire.

Thanks everyone now bholler is that black box with the fiberglass and paper insulation "safe or not"--I have phobia's lol lol clancey It's right up again that square black box in the ceiling and I will have the installer look at it too---don't quite understand what you are saying--its hard for my brain..lol clancey

It's safe. That black box also has 2x4s framing outside of it. The black box isolates the chimney pipe inside from combustibles surrounding it.

Thanks and I am getting geared up to light the wood stove--when it gets cooler and my kiln dried wood arrives ( this Friday) then my friend and I go to a "fireplace store" and I get different things that I might need--moisture gauges and stick on pipe temperature gauges and nice trivets for the cook area of the stove and other things maybe as I talk to the fireplace people. It will be a fun day and I will take pictures of the place and put them on here..This lighting might happen in the month of Sept and it depends on the weather---not too far away--and I will have a cold beer now to calm my nerves and look at my pretty wood stove and its been a long time coming with the completion of this work but its gearing down now...clancey

IIRC your stove has double-wall stovepipe. If so, it does not get a stick-on stovepipe thermometer. It must have a proper probe thermometer installed at about 20" above the stovetop. Also, there is a difference between stovetop and stovepipe thermometers. Be sure to get a stovetop thermometer. Or go to Condar.com and order the proper instruments.

Stovetop thermometer

Double-wall stove pipe thermometer

Pickup a pair of leather gloves too.

Thank you and I think I might need some kind of a pail to hold the ashes in when I clean it out as well...can suggest a size for me? Thanks so much...clancey

Thank you and I think I might need some kind of a pail to hold the ashes in when I clean it out as well...can suggest a size for me? Thanks so much...clancey
I use a 10 gallon galvanized mini-trash can. It gets pretty heavy when full. Amazon has several ash pails listed that are smaller. Whatever you purchase, be sure it only sits on a non-combustible surface, whether indoors or out.

I think that I will get the galvanized one like you have and I think I have a old fireplace shovel--maybe and if not I will get one of those too. Thanks for the information and I feel "prepared"...clancey