My wood racks at my house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice stout racks... I was warned about stacking wood near the house (about 5 feet away) for fear of insects and critters. Any worries here?

Yes! You are well advised to stack the wood away from the house. To bring some to the porch or wherever for overnight burning or for a few nights is okay but when it is drying, best to keep away from buildings. About the closest we've ever stacked was about 30' from the house. Well, at least that was true before we built a new barn. It is quite close to the house and in October we'll put about 2 1/2 cord in the barn. We also have a small wood rack on the porch that we fill and it is only a couple steps from the wood stove. Makes it handy when the stove is hungry.

I thought I'd snap a picture of a rack I just built so I can bring over my latest load of Mulberry, Honey Locust and Honey Suckle.

I started boxing the ends in the last few racks so the uprights resist the force of the stacked wood. Works a lot better this way.

Reactions: NortheastAl
schlot, that looks about exactly like some I made! The first winter I left them as is but then put a stain on them later. I used some of that old galvanized roofing for the top and slanted it so any snow or water will run off and not hit the porch on the way down.

Status
Not open for further replies.