My Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice picture what flavor wood you got in there????

Old shed at parents acreage 1 hr west of me,where about 1/2 my wood is stored.Built Nov '82,I hope to replace it with a better version next year if time & finances permit....The years sure have taken a toll,several big summer & winter storms in the past.Several repairs to the roof & ends.

Contains standing & deadfall Shagbark Hickory,Bur Oak,White Oak,Red/Black Oak,most all cut since Sept 2010 & a few assorted sticks of Black Cherry,American Elm,Slippery (Red) Elm, & Mulberry.

Last pic is Ironwood (Hophornbeam) from Nov 2010,some semi-green windfall from late summer storms.It dont get much bigger than 7"-8" around here,state record is only about 12" & 40 ft tall I believe and thats in a protected area up along the Missisippi River in NE Iowa.It makes about the best chisel handles & wooden mallets I can think of,as good or better than Hickory for some uses.Very hard to work,but cuts very smoothly & finishes to a mirror-like polish.

Attachments

• almost full 120910.jpg
    almost full 120910.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 446
  • white oakredoakhickory120910.jpg
    white oakredoakhickory120910.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 436
  • redoak hickory 112310.jpg
    redoak hickory 112310.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 447
  • hickory bur oak 1.jpg
    hickory bur oak 1.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 456
  • hophornbeam 6.jpg
    hophornbeam 6.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 446
Thistle said:
Old shed at parents acreage 1 hr west of me,where about 1/2 my wood is stored.Built Nov '82,I hope to replace it with a better version next year if time & finances permit....The years sure have taken a toll,several big summer & winter storms in the past.Several repairs to the roof & ends.

Contains standing & deadfall Shagbark Hickory,Bur Oak,White Oak,Red/Black Oak,most all cut since Sept 2010 & a few assorted sticks of Black Cherry,American Elm,Slippery (Red) Elm, & Mulberry.

Last pic is Ironwood (Hophornbeam) from Nov 2010,some semi-green windfall from late summer storms.It dont get much bigger than 7"-8" around here,state record is only about 12" & 40 ft tall I believe and thats in a protected area up along the Missisippi River in NE Iowa.It makes about the best chisel handles & wooden mallets I can think of,as good or better than Hickory for some uses.Very hard to work,but cuts very smoothly & finishes to a mirror-like polish.
Just curious, does the "No Stealing" notice on the the Private property sign really work?

[/quote]
Just curious, does the "No Stealing" notice on the the Private property sign really work?[/quote]

Dont think so,but the heavy wire rope cable with padlock strung across the driveway suspended waist high from 2 white oaks has so far.

Nice looking shed.....holy cow that's nice! :cheese:

Looks nice! I'm building one this spring. Just too much snow on top of the wood this past year...

I took the easy way out. I roll up the sides for full air flow. Right now packed with 10+ cords of 90% oak.

Attachments

• SL733884.jpg
    SL733884.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 171
Status
Not open for further replies.