My woodpile shrunk a bit today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
I was on the atv after clearing the neighbor's driveway when I looked and saw this pickup by my driveway. It turned out to be one of the people I helped out last month with some wood and they came to see if they could get more. Okay. We loaded him up.

Woodload-1.gif

Woodload-2.gif

btw, he has offered to come help me cut some wood next summer. However, we don't cut in the summer but he also has more galvanized roofing he is going to bring. As you can see in the pictures, some of the roofing where we got that wood is not in very good shape. In addition to that, he has offered me some insulation and he will bring it all in bags....as much as I want! Oh yes, he also has a backhoe. Sometimes it does pay to be generous I guess.

Wow!! You are very kind Dennis :)

He brought truck and trailer!

Thanks hareball.

Jay, it looks like you are going to have to go ahead of me on wood quantities now. I've not been cutting very much so far and the supply has shrunk a bit.

Nice Dennis!

Backwoods Savage said:
Thanks hareball.

Jay, it looks like you are going to have to go ahead of me on wood quantities now. I've not been cutting very much so far and the supply has shrunk a bit.

lol I wont be cutting again til th 23rd I have around 15 cords that needs split and another 20-25 still standing. I cant get through this weather and I have tryed but come the 23rd the chipper not mine so its on! (and let the saws set inside the truck with the heat on)

Dennis, doesn't look like you have much snow on the ground. Going to be headed up that way to the cabin in a week or two. Sounds like your going to be getting a little thaw. Hopefully it stays cold. I'm a big guy and i like the ice thick :lol:

Hope he gets a good price for it. :lol:

Sav nice pictures, how much wood in the truck and trailer if you don't mind me asking.

zap

When I first started reading this; I thought you were telling us about that truck coming up and helping themself to your wood pile uninvited. It was then worse when you mentioned that this was someone you had helped out. After reading a bit further I understood what was going on.

Your a very generous man Dennis...and that looks to be wood at its prime to me.

Thanks to all who have posted and to some who hasn't. I'll try to answer a couple of questions.

We do not have a lot of snow and every place I know of is way behind in snowfall this year. It is about right now for what I like. The thaw which is coming though will probably melt most or all of what we have. Well, it might make it better for cutting wood too.

That was a pretty good load for the fellow. I figured roughly 2 - 2 1/2 cords, so that makes up to 5 cords we've given this family so far this winter.

BB, I doubt this guy would sell this wood as I was contacted through his pastor. His pastor and the pastors brother I know quite well and they both hunt on land bordering ours and sometimes on our place. No, these are good people who are just down on their luck a bit....and I know how that feels, so, I try to be helpful.

BrotherBart said:
Hope he gets a good price for it. :lol:

TFF . . . not to be too cynical, but . . . I'm thinking Dennis don't realize yet that this guy-and his wife- are selling this wood. Probably taking it directly from Dennis' place to the buyer's :bug:

Read my last post.

Dennis guess the people on here dont go to church .It is not about the money . It is about helping people out when they are down and out and you will get your on the day the guy up stairs comes back ....

Nice load of wood there Dennis, good for you!

I plan to deliver a cord to a friend in the next week or so. He's not down on his luck but I will say he doesn't plan well! I tried to get him to cut with me all spring/summer and he didn't have time. Now he's buying wood that's so wet he can't even burn it. I told him I'd swap him the wet wood for my drier wood. My wood won't be perfect but I know it'll burn a lot better then the stuff he's messing with now.

longhorns said:
Dennis guess the people on here dont go to church .It is not about the money . It is about helping people out when they are down and out and you will get your on the day the guy up stairs comes back ....

You don't need to go to church to understand what it means to help the less fortunate. I'm pretty sure they're just giving Dennis a hard time by telling him the people are selling it! :)

Karma is more than a mystical come-uppance. People remember the kind of person that you are.

I'm lucky to have great neighbors and we pitch in when necessary. Out in the country you know that better than anyone. Some folks start to think they're entitled to wood at some point though- LOL

Even if he does sell it he is obviously in need of cash.....He has a family to feed, if he does who cares! Dennis you did a great thing helping him out. Its to bad its not easier to find people like you.

Wow, Dennis! I've never seen so many trees so close together in my whole life! And they're tall ones, too! We don't have many trees out here in West Texas and they are not tall and clumped up and all. Do y'get claustrophobia in amongst all those trees? WOW!! Great pictures--I always like seein' what it looks like in other places.

Hey, if y'all need wood, or know someone who does, I've found some and we can get 'em all they want. All they have to do is come get it! Don't even have to cut it! I'm perfectly willing to share, since I probably can't get around to burnin' it all myself anyway!

Hey, that look like my delivery guy and his wife, nice people. I still don't know how they can work that hard and deliver it for a measly 100 bucks! Just kidding Dennis.... I agree with you...

Texas boy said:
Wow, Dennis! I've never seen so many trees so close together in my whole life! And they're tall ones, too! We don't have many trees out here in West Texas and they are not tall and clumped up and all. Do y'get claustrophobia in amongst all those trees? WOW!! Great pictures--I always like seein' what it looks like in other places.

Hey, if y'all need wood, or know someone who does, I've found some and we can get 'em all they want. All they have to do is come get it! Don't even have to cut it! I'm perfectly willing to share, since I probably can't get around to burnin' it all myself anyway!

That's funny Terry. I know what the country is like in your neck of the woods so understand why you said that. On the contrary though, rather than claustrophobia, it is extremely relaxing. One good example is what I will go through tomorrow. We have to head in to the city. I guarantee when we get home that it is so relaxing it is almost unbelievable.

It is almost the same as when I go cut wood or even sitting in a treestand while hunting. For sure, when hunting I am in thicker woods than what you see in the pictures. Imagine sitting 20' or more up in a tree. After sitting for a short time you really become tuned to the woods and the quiet. Very peaceful! We have a couple of deer blinds along the edge of the woods too and many times I'll just go sit in one of those blinds and enjoy the peace.

You are a good man Dennis to help a family out like that. The fellow offering to come out and work with you and bring his equipment just proves the old saying what goes around comes around really is true. Sad that most of the time the saying is used to show how bad behavior goes around, your example is much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.