Mystery Country Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TastySalmon

Aug 14, 2016
Western Washington
I recently purchased what I thought was a lightly used Country C310 insert for $150. The insert was part of a mop-up estate sale where I got a few minutes in the evening after work to come in and take a look. I told the estate sale manager I would come in on Sunday to pull it out and take it home. Today I did that, but getting absorbed by a solo removal I didn't notice or pay attention to a few key points until I got home, which more or less rule it out being a C310. Specifically:

1.) There are no secondary tubes.

2.) There are fire bricks between the baffle boards (only 2 boards) and the baffle blanket.

3.) The baffle boards rest on top of the second layer of E/W fire bricks in stead of secondary tubes.

Otherwise, everything is identical to the drawings and specs provided in the manual available online for the C310, which can be found here.

First off, I'm disappointed this isn't actually a C310, but this is entirely my fault. New C310s apparently have 4 baffle boards, two 1" baffle blanket (mine only has one 1" blanket), and have no mention of fire bricks above the baffle board. I still plan on installing this but I need new fire bricks and blanket. Can anyone tell me what model I actually have and where I can find some information on this insert so I can make the appropriate parts replacements? Thanks.

Is there no identifying tag on stove?

Is it possible that the stove was equipped with secondary air tubes and has since been modified?

Country has been in business and, from what I understand, has had a strong following locally (in your area) for many years so it wouldn't be a complete surprise if this was pre-epa.

Last edited:
I would have posted photos but my phone won't be recognized by any computer any more and I haven't had time to look into a fix. There is a metal tag that says "All Converter Models" with a list of dos and don'ts below it. There is a serial number and the company name and address. There is an inspection date of August, 1984.

Were catalytic converters a thing in 1984? If so, can I operate this stove without a cat?

Is anyone familiar with firebricks above baffle plates in addition to a baffle blanket? This seems odd to me.

Name of company and address on the tag?? Please provide that info so that members, who may be familiar with the company, can direct you to further information if available.

Name of company and address on the tag?? Please provide that info so that members, who may be familiar with the company, can direct you to further information if available.

Country Stoves, Inc.
Auburn, Washington

Now that I realize I'm dealing with a pre-EPA stove, maybe this should be moved to the appropriate forum.

This is the number to Country Stove Inc. that I found listed, (253) 833-1120

Probably your best source of info. providing this is a good number.

Last edited:
Yea, pre-epa. You could throw it on CL and possibly make a few bucks. But I wouldn't bother with installing it.

Any wood burning device sold, offered for sale, or given away to Washington residents must meet Washington’s standards. Even devices that are exempt from EPA certification must meet Washington standards.

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/air/indoor_woodsmoke/wood_smoke_page.htm

Thanks everyone for the help on this one. It looks like it is the C-35, which is the predecessor to the current model, C310. Although it was made in 1984, it still easily meets EPA standards as well as the much more stringent Washington State standards, with a cat.

The thing truly is a beast weighing in at around 500 pounds. Thankfully since it is identical to the current C310 model with the exception of the secondaries, I can get the specs for the replacement parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.