N/S Loader to replace Napolean 1900

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ShaneMac

Sep 28, 2021
Ontario
Napolean was in the house when I moved in has ran well the last two years. Found some cracks and other issues with the secondary cross member and decided to start looking for a replacement. I have been shopping for a heat pump replacement but may now replace the stove first. Issues with the napolean is it takes up to a 22" log and all my wood is 16-18" in length. so never felt I used all 3.0 cf of the fire box but have been able to keep the house warm with it as primary heat in the winter. Heat pump works down to -5C then I turn it off as it turns on the electric backup strips.

16" equivalent would be 2.1 cf firebox and 18 would be 2.5 cf when compared to what I actually used. Stove must be north/south, I don't want to have to think about adding wood to the fire. I have made a small list I have been looking at. Are there others that I should consider? Ottawa, Canada20' chimney with T, 90 and 3 foot horizontal so by the book not the best for catalytic but Princess is a possibility.

Screen Shot 2023-09-24 at 9.14.45 PM.png

Last edited:
What’s the house you are trying to heat?
2x4 walls with brick exterior, triple pane windows with some blown in insulation in attic on batton but will be adding more. Basement is spray foam insulated. Stove is in basement opposite side of house to the stairs which go up, remove the door in winter for convection to allow heat upstairs to kitchen. Have a cold air return to basement in living room which is above the wood stove which helps the convection upstairs. Heat does not go to bedrooms that well which is ok, like those rooms a little warmer.

1200sf basement + 1200sf main floor for 2400 sf with normal ceiling heights.

I have the osburn 3300,it's gone up a grand in the last year,I also have the blower on mine,I'm in a 900sq ft drafty cottage here in manitoba where it gets pretty cold and this stove can easily do 8 to 10 hours on pine.its an awesome performer but I should have got the pe summit as it's a much nicer looking unit.

List looks good. How much vertical height can you get before the horizontal section? Could it be replaced by two 45s?

From that list I’d pick the F55 and spend what I saved vs cat stove in a heatpump. I would add the big Drolet stoves to the list just because they are cheaper than Osborn but with the same firebox just different trim (if looks aren’t that important). Again savings could be spent on heatpump.

I’d look at 2.5 cu ft and larger with an emphasis on convective heating.
Great point, I forgot to add that, the Napolean is a great convection heater which is required to move the heat around the house. What does one look for to emphasise on convection?
List looks good. How much vertical height can you get before the horizontal section? Could it be replaced by two 45s?

From that list I’d pick the F55 and spend what I saved vs cat stove in a heatpump. I would add the big Drolet stoves to the list just because they are cheaper than Osborn but with the same firebox just different trim (if looks aren’t that important). Again savings could be spent on heatpump.
40 1/4", Great recommendation, I'm going to add the HT-3000 to the list.

Last edited:
I have the osburn 3300,it's gone up a grand in the last year,I also have the blower on mine,I'm in a 900sq ft drafty cottage here in manitoba where it gets pretty cold and this stove can easily do 8 to 10 hours on pine.its an awesome performer but I should have got the pe summit as it's a much nicer looking unit.
I couldn't tell from the online information if 16" is recommended or 16" is the max? My wood is a mix of 16-18 currently.

The chart does not separate the N/S loaders from the E/W loaders. Did you load the Napoleon N/S? That would utilize most of the firebox capacity.

Both the Jotul F55 and the PE Summit can take up to 18" wood N/S. I think the Liberty can take at least 17" N/S. All good stoves. The Osburn 3500 should be added to the list.

The chart does not separate the N/S loaders from the E/W loaders. Did you load the Napoleon N/S? That would utilize most of the firebox capacity.

Both the Jotul F55 and the PE Summit can take up to 18" wood N/S. I think the Liberty can take at least 17" N/S. All good stoves. The Osburn 3500 should be added to the list.
That is a good point, my assumtion is the ones on the list support N/S but I didn't verify them all. Which ones are not north south?
I loaded the Napolean N/S but with my 16/18 splits there was a lot of extra room that I could not utilize. I was pointed to the HT-3000 which I think is the cheaper version of the Osburn 3500?

The Regency 2450 is more of an E/W loader. I think the Quad 4300 may be limited to 16" N/S. I'd replace that with the Quad 5700 which can take 20"? splits loaded N/S.

I was pointed to the HT-3000 which I think is the cheaper version of the Osburn 3500?
SBI makes several variants using the same firebox, but some with a different baffle material The HT series adds a convection deck. I think the Drolet Myriad is the 3500 equivalent, but it may be the 3300 equiv. I get them confused.
SBI also sells Englander. If you are looking for a big, value stove, check out the Englander NC32.

Why is it when ever I call a store about a stove I feel they don't know anything.
Asked about install, said have to replace all the venting, + includes 20 feet of gas line. Can't reuse chimney has to be replaced or installer loses certification etc.

I'm like its a wood stove.

Can't find anyone that would install Englander/Drolet yet. Call numbers provided by the SBI page and they said they don't install them.

Last edited:
Since we don’t know the condition of your chimney, it might be entirely reasonable to require a new one when installing a new stove. Your stove has cracks in it, the chimney might too.

Since we don’t know the condition of your chimney, it might be entirely reasonable to require a new one when installing a new stove. Your stove has cracks in it, the chimney might too.
I agree if it needs it, they said replace 100% with out looking. I should its the sales people who don't know what they are selling. It is Ottawa though so I'm sure demand is not that high. I have had better luck reaching out to more rural stores outside the city.

Why is it when ever I call a store about a stove I feel they don't know anything.
For the same reason that you can go to a car dealer or computer store and get the same snow job. A lot of salespeople are new to the job and cover their ignorance of the product with marketing blather.

A good, certified sweep can install the stove. The peak season has begun, so expect there to be a wait. Good professional installers and sweeps are very busy now.

A good, certified sweep can install the stove. The peak season has begun, so expect there to be a wait. Good professional installers and sweeps are very busy now.
Thank you for information, I'll expand my search and start including sweeps.

Thank you for information, I'll expand my search and start including sweeps.
There used to be a decent stove shop out in Carlton Place. It was a while back that I dealt with them, like 25+ yrs. Maybe they are still around???

Edit - it may have been Embers out in Perth.

There used to be a decent stove shop out in Carlton Place. It was a while back that I dealt with them, like 25+ yrs. Maybe they are still around???

Edit - it may have been Embers out in Perth.
Will look them up. Thank you.

I had a thought on catalytic stove. Since I have a heat pump which works down to -5C/23F would it worth going with a catalyitic stove since at those temperatures I would have to be running the stove hard enough where a secondary burner would be covering it and never need the low and slow of catalytic since the heat pump would cover those temperatures?

SBI also sells Englander. If you are looking for a big, value stove, check out the Englander NC32.
Do you think the 32-NC would have enough convection to help get the heat up the stairs and around the house? I can't tell if it would be a radiant or convection based stove. Sucks that they took the fan away compared to the 30-NC that it replaced.

It's not the end of the world. The stock fan was noisy. Some folks put on quieter blowers and/or created their own convection deck. Others used a stand or box fan to move the heat.

More importantly, it looks like the side shields are no longer sold as an option. That makes this a very radiant stove with large clearances. If this is an issue look at the Drolet Legend, Austral, Myriad III stoves. They all have the same firebox. Th Austral has no side shielding, but the Myriad and Legend do.

I think I have it narrowed down to a Princess and a PE 3.0 size be it the Summit, Classic or T6. I'm all for simplicity. These seem to be the simplest design of both catalytic and secondary burners. A wrench was just thrown into the system though, a F3500 has come up in local market place for 1100usd, 1500cdn which looks in really good shape but needs a new catalyst which adds up in price. Does any one happen to know how they are for draft/chimney requirement being a catalyst stove?

Screen Shot 2023-09-28 at 9.22.04 PM.png