Nails in a maple scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
I was going to call this thread "close call" but, after somehow missing the first I did manage to to find his buddies with the Fiskar's. I was wondering WTH hell was holding it together till I saw them. Nicked up the blade some but what are you gonna do? The guy who bucked this up found at least one.

Attachments

• IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0033.JPG
    IMG_0033.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0035.JPG
    IMG_0035.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 236
Reactions: Fred Wright
Dooryard or fence line maple. That's the reason folks won't buy trees from your yard or fence line. We all get some sooner or later; sometimes with the saw sometimes with the maul.!!!

And one of the problems with getting wood from tree trimmers.

This was from a big maple taken down not too far from me. The guy had a service come in and had it put to the street. Stuck a sign on it that said free firewood. Other than those couple nails it's nice stuff. Will be good 3 yrs from now ;).

Last edited:
It's interesting that there looks to be at least an inch of wood on top of the nail.

It makes sense, but I don't think of the tree growing over and burying the nail like that.

I love maple to both walk on and keep me warm, and that's a good looking stack.

It's interesting that there looks to be at least an inch of wood on top of the nail.

It makes sense, but I don't think of the tree growing over and burying the nail like that.

I love maple to both walk on and keep me warm, and that's a good looking stack.
You're right they were deep and completely invisible. One day a few years from now I will be shoveling out the ash and find them again and maybe more.

Maybe the tree was used as a tree fort for kids. As kids we banged hundreds of nails in our tree to build a tree fort.
Hope nobody used a chainsaw on it.

Maybe the tree was used as a tree fort for kids. As kids we banged hundreds of nails in our tree to build a tree fort.
Hope nobody used a chainsaw on it.

That's exactly what I would guess. Four or five nails bunched together, sounds like nailing 2x4's to me. Found more (nails) today. Ended up w/ a solid 1/2 cord of hard maple so not a bad local scrounge.

The guy that bucked it got into at least one nail (see pic) that I saw. At the rate I was finding them I'd be surprised if that was the only one he got into.

I think that that is soft maple. we always called that swamp maple. I lines both sides of the street that i live on. I think that it was planted that way because it was a fast grower - and that is usually a soft wood. those trees will be bone dry in 3 yrs, however i burn in about 12-16 months and it burns like paper.

BTW including the 2 i took from my own yard and every other from my street -ALWAYS loaded with nails...

I think that that is soft maple. we always called that swamp maple. I lines both sides of the street that i live on. I think that it was planted that way because it was a fast grower - and that is usually a soft wood. those trees will be bone dry in 3 yrs, however i burn in about 12-16 months and it burns like paper.

BTW including the 2 i took from my own yard and every other from my street -ALWAYS loaded with nails...

Well I never saw the leaves but the homeowner told me it was maple but I don't know what type. While driving by I initially thought it was ash because the wood is so white. Don't really use the phrases hard maple soft maple around here that I know of anyway I just used it here because it has meaning to forum members .

I'll tell you this, I have split maple that is soft and easy to split. This stuff is hard, real hard. The Fiskars sometimes bounced off w/o hardly leaving a mark. One it started to crack, if it was a clean round, it shattered and the wood is really "springy" if you know what I mean.

Not a great pic but this is what it looked like before splitting to size. What do you think?

Attachments

• dec13 7.jpg
    dec13 7.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 126
On thing some folks have done when cutting a tree in a fence row, along a wood edge, especially if it faces a road and also in yards. They simply cut off the first 6 or 7 feet of the log and don't cut that because that is where you usually find the hardware.

On thing some folks have done when cutting a tree in a fence row, along a wood edge, especially if it faces a road and also in yards. They simply cut off the first 6 or 7 feet of the log and don't cut that because that is where you usually find the hardware.

All it cost me was a few nicks in the ax which I pretty much worked out with a sharpener but I bet the guy that took it down wasn't too happy. Suppose finding a few nails is part of the gig for tree services serving home owners, resharpen and get back to it. Find a nice size eye- hook though and I would think you could be replacing the chain.
Wonder what it does to their chippers?

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I had a nail break the chain on my 170 one time. Cutting some wood at work, felt it hit and backed off. Eased back into it and snap... thats why I always stand to the side when I'm cutting. Could've been a lot worse, scared me for sure. Put a new chain on and left that log alone

Weird how oak with metal in it makes that blue stain up and down the log and maple doesn't give you a clue at all till you hit it.

I had a nail break the chain on my 170 one time. Cutting some wood at work, felt it hit and backed off. Eased back into it and snap... thats why I always stand to the side when I'm cutting. Could've been a lot worse, scared me for sure. Put a new chain on and left that log alone
Dang! Never heard of that. I bet that did get your attention.

Yeah, the wood had grown over the nails so I had no idea. When I "eased" back into it, it was at just above an idle. The chain on the 170 is small too, so I guess it wouldn't take much.

Weird how oak with metal in it makes that blue stain up and down the log and maple doesn't give you a clue at all till you hit it.

True. That first pic I missed the nail by less than 1/8" and didn't really notice it till I saw the point. More tannic acid in oak? Bueller, Bueller?

All it cost me was a few nicks in the ax which I pretty much worked out with a sharpener but I bet the guy that took it down wasn't too happy. Suppose finding a few nails is part of the gig for tree services serving home owners, resharpen and get back to it. Find a nice size eye- hook though and I would think you could be replacing the chain.
Wonder what it does to their chippers?

That is one reason chippers are made with removeable or changeable teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.