Name that stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyquil Junkie

Aug 26, 2009
SW PA
This is the stove I'm replacing with the intrepid 2 I picked up (another thread). I've always wondered what kinda stove this was who made it how old ect ect.
there are no numbers, no names, nothing on this thing.

A few small details, it used to be a coal stove. I know that because it had a super-duty coal grate setup in it, with a shaker bar. it was about 1.25" thick.
One day it burned in half and I had to replace it with a standard cast iron fireplace basket type grate. the insides are lined with really thick brick, so thick in fact I could not find stove brick the right size to replace them and had to reline it with the standard fire brick they sell pretty much anywhere, they look like pavers.

The cast iron body is really thick too, its a small stove but takes 3 men to pick it up. It's shockingly heavy for its size.

the top where the pipe is going out, can be used as a cook top and the flue can go out the back. BUT since the inner baffle has a giant hole burned out of it, the top cook plate never would get hot and it didnt draw right with it going out the back so I just used it with a top stack.

It's been heating my house for yrs, and I call it the incinerator, as I kinda have a bad habit of burning just about anything that will catch fire in it. Wood, coal, old pallets, scrap 2x4s, and I even was down to burning old furniture one year I ran out of anything else. (bad yr). the doors seal tight, and with a few logs in it with the vents closed down, you can get this old piece of junk pretty hot. It's served me well.

I wanted one I could cook on so.... I traded up to a VC intrepid, as my mom has one and I kinda like hers.

Anyhow... I'd really like to find the maker of this thing and maybe, buy new grates and the top inside baffle plate. But who knows who made it.... I dont.

Do you?

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

yeah that's a heat-scoop on top with a duct pipe, it pulls heat off the stove/pipe and pushes it back to another room.
and it keeps my low ceiling cool. Not pretty but functional.

I have no idea but that's a very cool looking stove. Maybe you can take the baffle to a metal fab shop and they could duplicate it?

I thought of that but was under the impression a plate steel copy would warp quickly from the heat. Maybe I could repair the bunrd out part of the cast iron baffle with a few driilled holes and a steel plate bolted over it.
if I ever have to use the thing again, I'll keep that in mind.

This stove is gone from the house now and in storage, I put the intrepid in its place.

Status
Not open for further replies.