Name this stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

judgemint

Oct 26, 2009
washington state
Hi, hows everyone. cool site. I got this stove a couple years ago from a guy for free. I know nothing about it, but would like some info on it . I just seen one exactly like it on craigslist for 400. it says its a lopi pellet/wood stove??? I have used mine in the shop(24x36 uninsulated) and it works OK. I just noticed half of those firebricks inside are gone. If I just use pellets it doesn’t do to good. so I get the pellets going and then i put a duraflame log in(nitrous stick) i set it on a couple pieces of 4x4 angle iron on each side so its 3-4 inches above the fire box, then it picks up quite a bit, and i have one of those heat exchangers in the stovepipe. but like I said just the pellets i cant get it going real well?? is there a way to get this bad boy tuned up to work better?? is this a pellet/wood stove?? also I cant figure out how to dial it in with the timer box?? and it runs off a relay so its constantly ticking, there’s a large round dial with a smaller dial in the middle of it. I know nothing of pellet stoves. Also Ive noticed lately when i plug it in it now takes a few minutes before the fan will start running?? the attachment is the one on craigslist but is identical to mine. thanks in advance to any help D

Attachments

• 3k73mf3p95Ob5Q15S59ao3b090d71fd471d10.jpg
    3k73mf3p95Ob5Q15S59ao3b090d71fd471d10.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 707
No such thing as a pellet/wood stove as far as I know. That LOOKS like a regular wood stove as far as I can see.

A pellet stove has a manual or automatic ignitor then uses a combustion blower to feed air into the fire pot to produce lots of heat with little ash.

If you have a pellet stove I'd say the stove needs to be cleaned THROUGHLY in order to increase it's efficiency. There are hidden areas behind the firebox that are not accesible without some effort. Many of us use a leafblower to accomplish this task... it sucks out the ash/soot from behind the firebox. You can use a small hammer to tap on the walls of the firebox which will dislodge the ash/soot and allow it to drop into the ashpan.

You also need to use "pellet vent" pipe NOT regular wood stove pipe or B vent.... very importatnt. A Magic heat does little to recover heat from a pellet stove as most of the heat comes out of the stove.

I agree with krooser, it looks like a regular wood stove by looking at the stove pipe collar, typical of wood stoves. Perhaps it's a wood stove with a convection blower and the blower has a timer? You're in a good spot to figure this out. There's a lot of experience in this forum. Perhaps post in the wood stove forum as well?
Mike -

Does that stove have a hopper that can hold wood pellets with a little corkscrew thing at the bottom of it? If not, I think you got yourself a wood stove. Maybe don't do too much burning until someone here helps you figger out whay you have.

Could it be an old Englander model?

Judgemint, how about a pic of inside the hopper, and also open the door and take pic(s) of burnpot.

Franks said:
Well, it's a pellet stove. That parts figured out

Yup, but man that looks like a 6" stove pipe collar to me. I personally haven't seen a top vented pellet stove before.

Closest thing I could find was the Lopi Republic Series. Your stove appears to have some elements of the Republic "Wood" stove, with perhaps an optional pedistal base? It has the sheet metal guard behind the stack as well.

Later,
Mike -

That is too cool. :coolhmm:

Never saw a pellet burner with top exhaust. Are you sure it's supposed to burn wood too? The firebox sure looks like a pellet burner only to me, unless those 90 degree elbows are supposed to keep the logs up a little above the pot.

No name plates anywhere?

If i remember right, I was looking for info on it when I first got it. I couldn't find much in tags or # but I think I remember it saying Scott somewhere on it ???

I don't know if your suppose to burn wood in it or not. I really don't see why not. I'm sure the glass on the door is rated enough?? What I do ,because it doesn't put out a lot of heat just using pellets, I have a couple pieces of angle iron on each end that will hold up a dura flame log just above the tubes, and that gets it going real good

The exhaust is similar to an EarthStove I worked on last year, but the burnpot is totally different. I know I've seen that burnpot before somewhere, hopefully someone will have an answer soon.

To me that looks like a wood stove that some one converted to burn pellets . Either that or it is one of the first pellet stoves ever made .It does not look very efficient .

Excell said:
To me that looks like a wood stove that some one converted to burn pellets . Either that or it is one of the first pellet stoves ever made .It does not look very efficient .

I would guess because of the exhaust setup that it's a positive pressure stove. The EarthStove I worked on was positive pressureand was fairly efficient.

There is a person around here on craigslist selling one. Its the one in the pic the top of this thread. it also burns pellets. They have it listed as a wood burning/pellet stove

You say one on Craigslist says it's a Lopi? Maybe it's an early Travis Industries prototype. Very cool. Maybe try emailing Travis Ind. the pictures?
Mike -

Edit: Google tells me that Scott used to be a pellet stove maker. Maybe (if your stove says Lopi) Travis Ind. bought them out?

Is it possible that stove is made to burn "rice" coal?

***edit*** after a bit of research, I don't think it is...

To answer one of your questions, yes, you need firebricks where you are missing pieces. I know you can find replacements just can't tell if the ones in the back are thinner. You may have to check around. Also can't tell if the back ones are glued in but you can find high temp adhesive at Lowes or HD that will glue them in and last a long time.

That is a SCOTT stove
UL shut them down about 1991 for safety reasons. they said it had to be a pellet stove or a wood stove could not be both
they also sold a kit that you could convert your wood stove over to it.
they use (stole) the same design as the old Martin ventury pellet stove

Status
Not open for further replies.