Napolean 1100C, Hearthstone craftsbury, Jotul F3-CB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pauly

Hearth Supporter
Aug 22, 2009
Virginia - North Carolina
I have decided that I can not fit the Morso wood stove (which I was looking at ) into the area that I wanted to put it, due to obstructions in the ceiling joists and rafters. So I am left with oly one area for a stove which in order to be visually appealing will require a larger stove. the Napolean 1100C and the Hearthstone Craftsbury both would look right and are in my price range as well. . Just got off the phone with a lady who gave me a price on the Jotul F3-CB ( $1627 does this sound right?) The Jotul is pushing my pocket book sort of past the limit. Anyway- anyones thoughts or experiences with any of these stoves would be very appreciated.

I can't say much about the Jotul, but my experience with the Napoleon (the 1100 is just a smaller 1402) is that the combustion technology is excellent, and being a steel stove, it's going to be low maintenance. On the other hand, the Jotul is a much prettier stove. So it depends upon how much the appearance means to you. Someone with Jotul experience will have to chime in with comments about performance.

Control freak-

the 1100 cp is a Cast Iron stove by Napolean. At least that is what they advertise it as. Maybe a steel firebox with cast surround? Is that possible?

jotul # 3 is tops for small stove output and operation, and will take the pepsi challenge in durability as well: the crapsbury is a dog (cheap baffle, doodie handle), and napoleon has a cheap baffle and doodie handles...

the crapsbury is a dog (cheap baffle, doodie handle), and napoleon has a cheap baffle and doodie handles...

LOL. love it when you talk dirty Summit. %-P
Seems many stoves have cheap baffles these days, no? It is a cost reduction measure. But if the owner is willing to be careful with them and accept this as a maintenance item, then there appears to be a strong market for them. Not my cuppa tea, but different strokes for different folks.

I agree that the Jotul F3CB is a well-built, willing little heater. Wondering if a Quad Yosemite or PE Alderlea T4 might also work here?

BeGreen said:
the crapsbury is a dog (cheap baffle, doodie handle), and napoleon has a cheap baffle and doodie handles...

LOL. love it when you talk dirty Summit. %-P
Seems many stoves have cheap baffles these days, no? It is a cost reduction measure. But if the owner is willing to be careful with them and accept this as a maintenance item, then there appears to be a strong market for them. Not my cuppa tea, but different strokes for different folks.

oh, understood! however, if you ever had to operate the load door handle or the ash pan handle more than once, you would also call it the crapsbury.

I love my F3-CB. Going into my 3rd season with it with zero issues. Real easy learning curve. Simple to control. Pumps out the heat.

For what its worth, the Jotul F3-CB is the best selling small cast iron wood stove. Jotul does not encourage internet sales so it may be hard to do a price comparison on it across dealers/sites.

It is borderline as far as what I can afford for a stove (jotul F3 Cb) but I also have learned that you always get what you pay for. does any one have an approximation of what the double wall chimney will cost me? I am figuring about a 22 foot chimney going from the stove top about 7 feet to the ceiling then double wall pipe from there throuugh the roof. i have a 6 in 12 pitch roof. Id like to do single wall black pipe in the living area and of course the double wall pipe in the attic and out the roof. I imagine I will need to get some sort of brace for the chimney above the roof line.

i was in your same spot 3 yrs ago i was between the Yosemite and the f3cb, the jotul has been great heats my whole house its onlt 1000 sq ft but i have to open windows in the bedroom. hose get upper 80s no prob. i have double wall pipe and 9 ft on roof cant remember what i paid. but it was all worth it....

oh ya i forgot all parts are replaceable on f3 and the damper control is idiot proof.

4- finger- Pauly said:
It is borderline as far as what I can afford for a stove (jotul F3 Cb) but I also have learned that you always get what you pay for. does any one have an approximation of what the double wall chimney will cost me? I am figuring about a 22 foot chimney going from the stove top about 7 feet to the ceiling then double wall pipe from there throuugh the roof. i have a 6 in 12 pitch roof. Id like to do single wall black pipe in the living area and of course the double wall pipe in the attic and out the roof. I imagine I will need to get some sort of brace for the chimney above the roof line.

@2000 installed 2700 for 2 story home

I have an F3. What is so great about a galvanized baffle? It ain't stainless I guarantee you. And it cost exactly the same as the fiber board baffle set in my 30-NC.

BrotherBart said:
I have an F3. What is so great about a galvanized baffle? It ain't stainless I guarantee you. And it cost exactly the same as the fiber board baffle set in my 30-NC.

are you paying dealer cost for that jotul baffle, BB? or is england stove (no offense meant here, mike houlton... i've just never liked the fiber board baffles) just jacking you on shipping for a piece of non combustible cardboard?

summit said:
BrotherBart said:

are you paying dealer cost for that jotul baffle, BB? or is england stove (no offense meant here, mike houlton... i've just never liked the fiber board baffles) just jacking you on shipping for a piece of non combustible cardboard?

Last time I looked the galvy tin baffle for the F3 was $138 plus shipping and a pair of boards for the 30 was $124 plus shipping, if both were needed at one time. Sure I would like a SS baffle. Just not gonna pay $1,500 to get it. >:-(

None of which has much to do with this thread. The F3 is a fine stove and if you are looking for four hours of heat it will do the job just fine. Of course I am gonna sell mine. But that is just because I am a steel stove kinda guy and want to replace it with a 13-NC to get the longer burn. The F3 and the F100 were my experiment with little cast stoves. The F100 has a plant sitting on it in the small warehouse.

ok

heres a dumb question

What is a baffle and what does it do?

A baffle is essentially the roof of the firebox in a stove. It keeps the combustible gases inside the firebox to give them a chance to burn instead of them just heading straight up the chimney. Don't worry about what material the baffle in the stove you like is made of. They are all fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.