Napolean NPS40 Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nydyna88

Hearth Supporter
Oct 22, 2008
Long Island,NY

I am a new member to the forum. I have installed a Napolean NPS40 Pellet Stove in my living room primarily to supplement my oil burner but hopefully to eliminate it's usage. I was wondering if any other members have installed this stove also. I just need some simple advice as to what settings are best for mild overnight usage. I don't like to keep my home too toasty at night, usually around 60 degrees. Last night I experimented with the stove because the mercury did decide to dip for the first time this season on Long Island. I had the pellet feed rate at a little below "1" and the fan blower on about "2". I had my air control rod almost entrely in and noticed that the burn pot would get very full in a short period of time. I did notice that if I adjusted the air control rod to provide more air, I could increase the burn and therefore lowering the pellets in the pot. I am using premium hardwood pellets. Can I get some advice as to nightime settings? All/any comments appreciated.

Dave Kohn
Long Island,NY

1. do you have an outside air kit? if you do put the air setting on 2-3 i use 5 for startup then down to 2 for running ( you will have to gauge what will work the best for you. if you dont let enough air in your pot will fill up and have bad burning)

2. depending on the pellets you use you will have to vary on your auger settings, the fan setting is just for the fan pushing out the hot air from the chamber.

3. can you see the auto lighter when lighting up the stove? (bottom back of burn pot) and is there a nice size hole for it to light from? (some have had to drill the hole bigger)

4. dont worry about soot on the window ,it is very easy to clean, i use windex when the stove is cold after i clean it as well

5. depending on how hot you would like your house at night, we set ours on 4/4 at night but our house is pretty big, again you would have to find your house's best settings.

i used to have a harmon before i got this stove, i like this stove much better because of the burn pot, it is very efficient compared to the botton feed from the harmon's

Has anyone else had a problem with starting their NPS40? It often takes more than one 15-minute cycle for me to get the igniter to light the pellets and I'm wondering whether the igniter needs to be adjusted to a stronger initial setting. If so, how do I accomplish this - it's not addressed in the manual. I've tried numerous initial pellet feed and air settings, to no avail. Also, I clean out the burn pot once every day or two. I have another stove (Baby Countryside) and it lights within 5 minutes every time. BTW, I just use water to clean my glass and that works fine.

I usually pull my air knob out all the way and put the pellet feed rate at 3-4, (their Optimum setting). Sometimes I even add a handful of a product I picked up thru Northern Tool called "MultiFuel Firelighting Pellets". Thesepellets are made up of red fir sawdust and dentured alcohol. The burn pot usually catches fire quite quickly this way. Their website is www.meecomfg.com. I too am a novice but seem to learn a little bit more everytime I use the stove.

Glad to hear from some other Napolean users. I have the NPI40 insert. Installed it myself and am using inside air and have a 4" 30' vertical vent. It drafts real well. Mine lights up in about 5-7 minutes with the feed rate on Max and then I turn it back to the low "optimum" rate of 3.5 with the air control about mid way. I'm amazed at how efficient that little round burn pot is. I don't always have a tall flame, but just a few burning embers and it stays lit and provides heat. I can go 3-4 days burning 7/24 before the need to even scrape the burn pot. The glass does get dirty though and I clean that every 3-4 days with Windex.

A question for any stove owner; since this is a manual stove (no thermostat, just feed rate and fan speed), should you adjust the air control when you set it to low or high? It seems that on low there are very few pellets in the burn pot and giving it less air makes a little bit of flame, otherwise on the mid level air setting it just sort of glows with embers.

Thanks,
Craig

I have experimented with numerous feed/air combinations. I found a couple instances of people suggesting to drill the burn pot hole that aligns with the ignitor to a slightly larger diameter. I did so this morning and the stove lit after ten minutes. I'll experiment some more with feed/air combinations to accomodate this larger ignitor hole. I had been using a full open air control rod, with a 3/4 pellet feed rate, as a higher rate seemed to block the burn pot holes from getting air before the ignitor lit its first few pellets. With the larger hole, I may be able to get away with a higher feed rate and a faster ignition. I did try a couple times putting a small amount of lighter fluid on the pellets, but I worry that long term use of the fluid might cause some damage and possibly void my warranty, not to mention causing some type of combustion hazard.

My stove was installed with straight-out, outside air kit. I have a fairly tight house and once the stove lights, it goes pretty well, with no smoking. Also, you can clean the glass with just water (no glass cleaner residue). I use a wet paper towel, and then wipe it clean with a dry paper towel.

I found out about the glass cleaner residue when I cleaned my glass the other day. Next time, it is back to using just some ashes and a paper towel for the initial wipe and then a clean paper towel to clean the glass. I did however find that keeping the air control knob out to 2/3 does keep the glass cleaner longer. My auger feed rate is usally kept around the same setting as the air, 2/3. At night since it hasn't been very cold yet and because I don't like my house too warm at night I have been dropping the feed down to about 1-1.5. The air control has been around 2.
Question...sometimes when I change the feed control settings, the yellow light will flash on the control panel. Does this have any significance? Is so, do tell.

I think the yellow light goes on when the augur is rotating. The lower the setting, the less frequent that is.

With regard to the igniter holeI just installed a NPI40 and on intial startup it would not light. Called the factory and they said the hole needs tobe 5/16" diameter. They said many had been shipped at 3/16" and needed to be opened up. Mine was 1/4". I couldn't imagine anouther 16th would matter but when we drilled it out the stove lit off in just a few minutes and lights easy every time now.

I will pull my burn pot out later and measure the hole. If it is below specs, I will drill it out. And thanx for the information on the yellow light. With the size of the Owner's Manual that Napolean provides, you think they would mention something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.