Napoleon 1900 or Summit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodie

Dec 22, 2012
Going to be getting rid of my pellet stove for next year and going with wood. My house is two levels (including basement) total square footage around 1850.

I have been upgrading insulation as I renovate and will be opening up the stairwell (go from floor to ceiling wall to railing) should be pretty well equivalent to R2000 home once Im done.
Stove will be located at one end of basement with stair case in the middle, bedrooms (2) upstairs at opposite end of house. There is already large grate in the floor above stove location and hallway outside of bedrooms that I think I will put a couple small duct fans in to move air.

Wood will be my main heat source, with baseboard back ups which are incredibly expensive!!
I live in Eastern Ontario north 1.5 hrs north of Ottawa so temps in the -20 to -30*C range are the norm in the middle of winter.

I will be burning a mixture of poplar, birch, maple, oak, and some pine as I live on 100acres and want to take advantage of the free fuel!! Currently splitting and stacking for next fall.

My main concern is burn time. I would like to be able to adequate burn time out of a stove so that I do not have to come home to a freezing house after work or in the morning (8-12hrs) and try and keep those pesky baseboards off.

So far I am seeing that the summit is quite a bit more expensive than the napoleon ($2550) which is alot to spend for me right now.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Why are those the only options? There are other lower priced 3 cu ft stoves that would do well.

Should mention I'm open for suggestions, I do not want to go to cheap though. This will be replacing a drolet pellet stove which I have not had much luck with. Truthfully if need be I would rather spend the money once if something line the pacific energy is that much better
Thanks.

I think the PE is a simpler stove to clean, but both are good heaters with a good reputation. My guess is that the Napoleon is a lot less due to locally made vs shipped.

Should mention I'm open for suggestions, I do not want to go to cheap though. This will be replacing a drolet pellet stove which I have not had much luck with. Truthfully if need be I would rather spend the money once if something line the pacific energy is that much better
Thanks.

I can definitely get behind paying for quality, but pellet stoves are a lot different than wood stoves. A wood stove doesn't have any augers, conveyors, combustion blowers, control boards, etc, etc. I wouldn't be afraid of a Drolet wood stove. Osburn and Enerzone are other brands from the same parent company, SBI. The Englander 30 is very popular here as a well built, low priced stove. Canadian Tire sells them as the Timber Ridge brand.

There is no reason not to buy a Summit, just some other options.

Hmmm just found what i think is a decent deal on an osburn 2300 with blower and nickel door/legs for 1900 tax in or a plain one with blower for 1700? Any opinions on these?

I see your point about the pellet stove, to much going on for sure. It did not like being run on my yamaha generator, wouldn't draft properly in high winds and as it sits now one of the auger motors seized.
Not very confidence inspiring in January when the power goes out for an extended period...

Status
Not open for further replies.